• This topic has 1,355 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    medalnet
    Participant

I was just lucky at auction a few days ago and managed to score a Red Eagle Order medal made from zinc. Besides the fact that the medal was not affiliated to the order, it went through a few design changes mostly limited to the reverse of the medal – the cipher of the at the time ruling emperor of Prussia. First one was FW IV. in 1916 the state of Prussia decided to mandate the use of cheaper metals for the manufacturing of medals and order decorations. Preferred metal was indeed zinc! Grey and ugly only because the finishes (silvered or gilt) would not stick to the base metal. Nevertheless those late war badges are extremely rare and almost never surface on the collectors market.

[attachment=0]RAO Medaille Zink.jpg[/attachment]
    RAO Medaille Zink.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    fred j borgmann
    Participant

Question, you wrote that this medal was not "affiated" to the Order. Could you please explain the role of this medal since it is the medal of the order. I know that being awarded the medal does not make the recipient a member of the order. Do you know anything more about it? Thanks, Fred

medalnet
    Participant

The medal wasn’t even part of the prussian order system. it was kind of a personal gratification of the emperor. Most awards were done during visiting sites, like being at the Krupp manufacturing plants handing them out to good workers etc.

In any case desirable. I believe they were even given out without certificat. But don’t quote me on that.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Weren’t they also bestowed to the guards of the Imperial HQ?

medalnet
    Participant

That is correct

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.