• This topic has 1,494 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    arclight
    Participant

I am having absolutely no luck finding ribbon bars from non-US countries, other that the typical ones.
    I need to find these foreign awards in the US-style slide on ribbons in order to reconstruct some ribbon racks.
    Trouble is, I cannot seem to find the ribbons (without having to buy the medal, too) on ebay, and no online dealers have much other than the most commonly seen foreign award ribbon bars.
    Can anyone suggest an online shop that sells the ones listed below for reasonable prices?
    Seeking the following US-size ribbon bars:
    French Legion of Honor
    Luxenburg Order of Oak and Crown
    Greek Cross of Valor
    Order of the British Empire
    WWII Croix de Guerre with Palm.
    Any help or recommendations would be magnificent!
    Thanks,
    Gary

Frank Dutil
    Participant

British Commonwealth ribbons are easy enough to find… I could get them for you.

As for finding them on US style/model the US uses, good luck!

But it is relatively easy to swap out a ribbon on a slider, I’ve done it myself pretty often and could probably do some for you.

The LoH, just a knight or higher? Because I don’t have the mini rosette…

OBE, military or civilian division?

CdG, I have the ribbons, will check if I have a mini laurel leaf, I think I do.

arclight
    Participant

Just obtaining the ribbon lengths and making it myself, That’s actually a good idea!
    The Oak & Crown is noted in my project’s list as "Order Grand Ducal Couronne de Chine. Not sure what the translation is to determine the grade of this award.
    The OBE is the military one with the thin white stripe in the center.
    I’m not sure what grade for the Legion of Honor. The one I need would probably be the basic example. Whatever the type that would typically awarded to a US Army General.
    One other that I forgot about is the Federal German Order of Merit, Commander.
    I hope this makes sense. I don’t really collect or study foreign medals, so I could be making rookie mistakes with the correct grade of awards.
    Thank you!
    Gary

Frank Dutil
    Participant

I’m not sure what grade for the Legion of Honor. The one I need would probably be the basic example. Whatever the type that would typically awarded to a US Army General.

That could be any one of many… Knight, Officer, Commander, Grand Officer… The "basic example" as you refer to it is "knight", not sure at all that’s the usual grade given a general. But the general’s rank and responsibilities in liberating France would make all the difference in the World… Got a name?

arclight
    Participant

My apologies for the delay. The officer in question was Chief of Staff, First Army, Colonel Samuel L. Myers. He retired as a LTG.

I was thinking that the US Army Meritorious Unit Commendation could possibly pass as the Legion of Honor if I were to remove the frame. Do you think that would be pretty close to the same shade of red? Given that he was a Colonel, Chief of Staff for First Army, do you think that there would be any kind of aperturnance? That would likely depend upon the grade of the award, which I have no clue about.

Thanks,
    Gary

lukasz gaszewski
    Participant

Given that he was a Colonel, Chief of Staff for First Army, do you think that there would be any kind of aperturnance?

Most likely a LoH Officer (4th class) or Knight (5th class), so the ribbon should have a rosette without a lace or be just plain.

The Order of the British Empire was most likely that of Officer (OBE – 4th class) – that was the class usually awarded to oficers of his rank. Unfortunately the British do not use devices on ribbons to denote the class of an order.

What regards the Greek Cross of Valor, the ribbon should be available from the OMSA ribbon bank. I know, as I requested one myself some time ago.

I have found Gen. Myers photo (from http://theworldsmilitaryhistory.wikia.c … 798_-_1969)

[attachment=0]Samuel_L._Myers_(LTG).jpg[/attachment]

The ribbons I have identified:
    – Distinguished Service Medal
    – Legion of Merit, Bronze Star (?)
    – American Defense Service Medal, European-African-Mid Eastern Camp. Medal
    – American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, WW II Victory Medal
    – National Defense Service Medal (?), Philippines Liberation Medal (?), French Legion of Honor – Knight (5th class) (?)
    – German Order of Merit – Commander (?), UK Order of British Empire (? class), Luxembourg Order of Oak Crown – Knight (5th class), Croix de Guerre.

None of the ribbons looks like that of the Greek Cross of Valor or French Croix de Guerre (for WWII)

A better quality photo would certainly help.

Regards,
    Lukasz
    Samuel_L._Myers_(LTG).jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    hardmanj1
    Participant

Gary-

Please email me with what you need and I will check what is available in the OMSA ribbon bank inventory. The OMSA ribbon bank is a service for OMSA members to help them obtain ribbons. My email address is on the OMSA website.

Joe Hardman
    Ribbon Bank Manager

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.