Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 301 total)
  • Author
    megan

Getting a bit bored with working through Fiji in order and putting in loads of placeholders for missing images, I went ahead and added some of the images that I DO have instead. So the Independence Medal (1970), the Meritorious Service Decoration, and the Meritorious Service Award have gone up.

Things may be looking up, though. I sent an e-mail to the President of Fiji’s office which was passed on to the Secretary of the College of Honour, who has written back to ask how she can help… I’ve explained what I’m doing and, well, we shall see.

megan

No further news from Fiji… so I started looking at Brunei instead, and got bogged down getting organised ready to start posting stuff, the good news is that I have a fair bit!

megan

Today I have added the Star of Supreme Gallantry and the Royal Family Order of the Crown of Brunei to the Brunei section of the database.

megan

Sorry, had a pile of exam papers to mark this weekend!

Added the Family Order of Brunei, another award given to members of the Brunei and other royal families.

megan

Sorry, another pile of marking. No more until the end of August now.

I shall go & add some more to the Brunei section.

megan

Bliss… marking all done and a weekend to play with medals in peace. Yet, another apology, this time for a hole in my knowledge which I filled this week & have now shared with you all. There are TWO versions of the Most Esteemed Family Order of Brunei – the first one used 1954-1984 and a second used thereafter. 1984 was when the Nation of Brunei gained complete independence from the UK, not sure if that is what precipitated the change but as you will see several orders had changes in their insignia that year.

The Family Order of Brunei is also unusual in that the Second or Junior Class has a collar as part of its insignia. THat’s usually reserved for the First Class of an order (its First or Senior Class does have one as well!).

megan

More from the Nation of Brunei today… and by a happy coincidence, the 3 orders I added were all instituted on 1 August 1968! They are the Islamic Religious Order of the State of Brunei, awarded for services to the Islamic faith, and 2 military orders – the Order of Splendid Valour and the Order of Famous Valour. These last two are virtually identical – just colour changes on badges and ribbons – and I have yet to find out any real detail about terms of award. I’m also missing any images of the first class of either order… if anyone can help I’d be grateful!

megan

Started in on the Order of the Hero of the State of Brunei, awarded for martial valour in 4 classes. Imstituted in 1959, it had a change in design in 1984. There’s more of this order to come…

megan

The rest of the Order of the Hero of the State of Brunei and the start of the Order of Loyalty to the State of Brunei…

megan

Completed both types and 4 classes of the Order of Loyalty to the State of Brunei… for a tiny nation they have a vast array of orders, and there are more to come!

megan

Today begin in on the Order of Merit of Brunei, another one which has 2 types. And the marking monster is back, with a lot of students who delayed submitting work until August to deal with…

megan

Polished off the rest of the Order of Merit of Brunei… got to get ready to return to working on campus tomorrow: haven’t been there since 16 March 2020! So no time for more medals GRRR!

megan

Many apologies… the marking monster struck with a vengeance. Someone who ought to have been marking fell victim to some very difficult personal circumstances and didn’t even have a chance to tell me until the day before the marking deadline! Had to work straight through last weekend to make up for that!

Now back & beginning on the Order of the Crown of Brunei (a quite different order from the Family Order of the Crown). As always, hampered by the dearth of information about Brunei’s Orders, Decorations, and Medals. Hardly anyone has written about them. Couple of <i>JOMSA</i> articles, mentions in <i>World Orders of Knighthood & Merit</i> and… well that’s about it. Maybe I should write something when I’m done with them here…

megan

Got distracted as yesterday the Platinum Jubilee Medal to mark the 70th year of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign was announced, so scurry round to find images and information – you’ll find the results in United Kingdom|Royal Commemmoratives…

megan

Been rather busy getting the new term at university off the ground, hence I’ve been not doing much here, sorry!

Today however I have had a treat: Greg Harris sent me some lovely images and I have wasted no time to find good homes for them!

Scattered a bit, but we have a Grand Cross set of the Royal Order of Francis I from Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, a breast star of the Order of St Stephen from the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, a grand cross badge of the Royal Order of Noble Ladies of Queen Maria Luisa from Spain, a grand cross set of the Royal Military Order of Christ from the Kingdom of Portugal, and the Imperial Austrian Order of Leopold, a quite interesting cross that speaks of the recipient’s progression through the order.

Thank you, Greg. Who else has nice pictures for me, or shall I drift back to Brunei and finish up there?

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 301 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.