Viewing 4 posts - 256 through 259 (of 259 total)
  • Author
    megan

More Kingdom of Saxony: the War Merit Cross 1915-18 and the Military Long Service Decoration.

Coming to the end of Saxony now, any suggestions as to what you’d like me to do next?

megan

A blessed new year to you all!

More Saxony stuff, finished off the military long service awards (although I’m not completely certain about them, every website or book I consult has different ideas!) and also added the Reserve Long Service Decoration and one for firefighters.

Nearly done now, still waiting for suggestions as to what to do next. Maybe Australia?

megan

Oooh-rah! That’s the Kingdom of Saxony done, with the Medal for 40 Years in the Fire Service and the Medal of Honour for Workers and Servants added to the database.

It’s too cold in Cheshire at the moment, hope everyone is safe and well wherever they are.

megan

Started in on the Orders, Decorations & Medals of Australia by using the official Order of Precedence to sort out the images that we have already (with thanks to Mike, Ed Haynes, and Waterloo).

Until the second half of the 20th century Australian received the same awards as British citizens, a common practice across the British Empire and subsequently the British Commonwealth. Indeed, if you look in the United Kingdom section of this site – especially amongst long service medals – you can see early attempts to ‘personalise’ awards for Australian citizens. They still receive some identical medals – for example, Royal commemoratives – to UK citizens.

I’m still musing on the best way to reflect this. The Australian Order of Precedence, when it comes to military awards, gives the first ‘war medal’ as being the Australia Service Medal 1939-1945 which was awarded along with the same medals and stars as received by British servicemen to Australians, based upon their service. Australians who served in the Korea War also received the same award as British service personnel. From 1975 on, all Australian military service was marked by the award of distinctive Australian Medals. An oddball is the Vietnam Medal which was a UK award but British service personnel did not participate in that conflict although Australian ones did. The Order of Precedence then shows all the Royal Commemoratives but when it reaches those medals awarded for long service and good conduct only lists the Australian ones first awarded in 1982… You see, it all gets a bit messy!

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received. I’ll be back next week with more…

Viewing 4 posts - 256 through 259 (of 259 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.