Viewing 9 posts - 241 through 249 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    megan

Spent today plugging away at the rest of the Kingdom of Saxony Order of Civil Merit, including backfilling where I managed to run down some images I hadn’t found earlier.

megan

Today, I’ve moved on to the Kingdom of Saxony’s Albert Order, which was established in memory of Albert the Bold (Albrecht der Beherzten) who founded the Albertinien family line that ruled in Saxony, and with the intention of displaying his bust on the insignia. Unfortunately someone messed up and the wrong Albert – another fellow called Albert the Perennial – was depicted instead! Worse it took from 1850 to 1875 for anyone to notice. This triggered a hasty redesign. This delightful tale comes courtesy of Andreas Shultze Ising, who has also written on both this website and his own at length about the variants of this order.

I’ve spent so long ferreting around finding images that I only managed to get the ‘incorrect’ Type 1 done today. I’ll finish this off next week…

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by megan.
    megan

And now I have added the Type 2 Albert Order (the one depicting the correct Albert!). The one thing omitted in this order is a variant – found in both Type 1 and Type 2 – called ‘swords on ring’, a phenomenon that occured when someone was awarded a higher grade of the order without swords having previously recieved a lower grade with swords. Again, Andreas Shultze Ising has written about this in the blog area of this website… but I have yet to collect images of it.

megan

Firstly, apologies for no update last week – an update to the underlying system caused a minor error, which has now been fixed! Today I added the Order of Sidonia, awarded to noble Saxon ladies, originally for service to wounded soldiers during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1871 and subsequently for more general merit. Although it is a single-class order, royal ladies could wear the insignia on a sash rather than the more usual bow.

megan

Today I added Saxony’s second female-only order, the Order of Maria-Anna. Named after King Friedrich August’s late mother Maria Anna Fernanda Leopoldina Micaela Rafaela Gabriela Carlota Antónia Júlia Vitória Praxedes Francisca de Assis Gonzaga (21.07.1843-05.02.1884). Fortunately he didn’t use all of her names in setting up the new order! Instituted in 1906, it was awarded for ‘good works’, mostly charitable in nature, although it could also be awarded to nurses, midwives and teachers.

megan

On to the medals of the Kingdom of Saxony, with the Military Merit Medal (which has some really nit-picking variants none of which I’ve found pictures of!) and the General Honour Cross (with which I had more luck!).

megan

More Kingdom of Saxony, this time the Art and Science Medal ‘Virtuti et Ingenio’ which has a mind-boggling NINE types – I’ve not found images of them all yet, but I found more than I expected lurking in my files!

You may wonder why I add every single version, whether or not I’ve found an image. The reasons are twofold. Firstly, I hope you’ll find the description useful, and secondly maybe the gaps will goad those of you who possess medals I haven’t found pictures of yet to get your cameras out and send me a picture!

megan

Today I added the Kingdom of Saxony’s Art and Science Medal ‘Bene Merentibus’. At least this one only has 5 types, basically changing with monarchs to depict the correct one on the obverse.

I also stepped away from Saxony for what has become an annual event – the latest Kentucky Colonels Medal of Distinction, awarded annually to members in good standing. Colonel Khriss Urban is kind enough to take pictures of his medal as soon as it arrives to send to me for inclusion here. Thanks, Colonel!

megan

This week’s Kingdom of Saxony medal was the Lifesaving Medal, which as well as 6 types based on the fairly frequent changes of monarch has 2 special issues for acts of courage during two individual disasters – floods in Plauen (1834) and an avalanche at Schmilka in 1862.

I also received pictures of the membership medal of the Continental Society Sons of Indian Wars from Kevin Beyer, so that is now to be found amongst the various society and association medals in the United States section. Thank you Kevin… and if anyone else wants to sent images in they will be very welcome to do so 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 241 through 249 (of 249 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.