Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 241 total)
  • Author
    megan

Today sees the rest of King George V’s commemorative medals, with the Delhi Durbar Medal 1911 and the Silver Jubilee Medal 1935. King George V actually made it to India to be proclaimed Emperor of India, the sole monarch to do so (King George VI intended to go, but growing unease about the rise of the Third Reich deterred him), and India became independent before Elizabeth II succeeded him).

The Silver Jubilee Medal 1935 was awarded in silver to people in the UK and British-held territories (who were given free rein in how to award them).

megan

Somewhat at a loose end now the UK medals are pretty much done, I wandered off to contemporary Austrian medals. You hear a lot about the Austrian Empire’s awards, but not those of tne 2nd Republic (1945-present). OK, you hear even less about those of the 1st Republic, but I have yet to delve into those… anyway, I recently updated my own website, so having done that research, why not share it here?

Today, then, I added the massive Honour Badge for Merit of the Republic of Austria, which is the sole order that they award – in 12 classes plus 3 medals!

megan

Continuing with present-day Austria, I just added the Decoration of Honour for Science and the Arts, the Decoration for Military Merit, and the Cross of Honour for Science and Art.

megan

More contemporary Austrian medals today: the Honour Medal for Contributions to the Liberation of Austria 1946, the Lifesaving Medal, and medals for those organising the Winter Olympics held in Innsbruck in 1964 and 1976.

Despite its name and terms of award, the Honour Medal for Contributions to the Liberation of Austria 1946 wasn’t instituted until 1976, at which time the Austrian President made awards based on recommendations to those who had resisted the Nazi occupation and contributed to the nation’s liberation.

The Lifesaving Medal could be considered part of the massive Honour Badge for Merit of the Republic of Austria, as it uses the same medal as the order but on a different ribbon. It originally was awarded in both gold and silver, but the silver medal was discontinued barely a decade later… which is perhaps why I haven’t found any images of it yet.

megan

Back to the 2nd Republic of Austria, with the Mines Rescue Decoration, the Military Recognition Medal, and the Wound Medal for the Armed Forces. This comes in 2 classes, one for injuries that have lasting effects and one for those from which a full recovery is made. Every document I’ve read says that multiple awards are marked by additional stripes on the ribbon (harking back to the Austrian Empire’s wound medal), but I have never seen a picture of one on other than the standard dark green with red edges ribbon of a first award.

The Military Recognition Medal is also quite hard to find, especially if you want to look at the reverse. So sorry about a rather small picture of that!

megan

In 2013, the Austrian government amended the regulations for the Wounded Medal and decided that not only would it be awarded for injuries sustained on Austrian soil, it would also be extended to law enforcement as well as the military. A new medal was designed for police officers, although it continued to have the same ribbon. I also added the Armed Forces Operations Medal, which has several different ribbons depending on the mission for which it is awarded (military operations, disaster relief, public order or foreign aid) but a common medal.

megan

Long service awards today – there’s a medal for 30 years in law enforcement, a series of crosses for long service in the military (regular and reserve), and a set of medals for reservists as well. Do drop by the Austrian 2nd Republic section and take a look!

megan

A quick addition: John Fitz was kind enough to send a picture of the Spanish Order of Aeronautical Merit, so I’ve added that. Thanks, John!

megan

Celebrated my birthday with some more modern Austrian medals: one for service in the Militia and a start on some fire-fighting awards. These are quite interesting, for a start they are awarded by the Austrian Federal Fire Brigade Association rather than by the Federal government – there’s no specific award for fightfighters. Most if not all of the nine federal states have fire-fighting awards (and these ARE official, at least at the state level), which means that depending on where they fight fires, firefighters are eligible for a wide range of decorations. To add to this, most of them are volunteers rather than professionals.

megan

More current Austrian awards, this time the Cross of Merit of the Red Cross and the Medal for Distinguished Services of the Austrian Fire Brigades Association.

I have also discovered a couple more Austrian Fire Brigades Association medals I didn’t even know about, another Red Cross one (there were already 3 I was going to add next) and a whole slew of State Fire Brigade awards from the federal states, so I shall get these all sorted out and post them for you in due course. There may even be a JOMSA article in there… once I finish the one I’m working on at the moment 🙂

megan

Today I added the 2 other Austrian Fire Brigades Association medals – one is for International Cooperation and is awarded to foreign firefighters and the other is for Distinguished Service in Disaster Relief and there appear to be a series of clasps to place on the ribbon giving the name and date of the disaster in question. I’m not sure if you can wear multiple clasps on the same decoration or get a new one each time, though. And… I’ve found even more state firefighting awards. Think I’ll trundle off and sort them out… more soon!

megan

Austrian Red Cross today, a Medal of Merit in 3 classes and a new one I found recently, the Red Cross Medal for Merit for Disaster Relief and Development Cooperation. There’s another bunch from the Red Cross for the blood transfusion service to come, and that’s pretty much it for medals awarded nationally. The 9 federal states are another matter entirely, and I may wait until I’ve sorted them all out before putting them up here!

megan

Today I added the Red Cross Medal for Services to Blood Donation and the one for actually making donations of blood – these are nice medals but you have to give a lot of blood to receive one: 100 donations for the 3rd class!

That pretty much wraps it up for national-level current Austrian awards. I hope you enjoyed them… modern current awards are often quite hard to find. Next I think we’ll go a bit historical: The Kingdom of Saxony. (Of course, if anyone has a suggestion for a nation or era they would like me to focus on, I’d be interested to hear about it…)

megan

Today I started in on the Kingdom of Saxony, adding the Order of the Rue Crown and the Military Order of St Henry. This latter order proved remarkably frustrating: it went through 4 iterations, the first three of which were awarded sparingly, only a single instance of the first type was known to have survived and that was stolen in 1935 and never seen again! However, I have managed to piece together descriptions of every version, and found pictures of the last one, awarded 1829-1919.

Here’s a portrait of August Lodewijk of Anhalt-Köthen wearing the first type of the Military Order of St Henry as a neck badge. Sorry, it’s the best image I’ve found of the thing!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    megan

GRRR. I’m beginning to go off the Kingdom of Saxony… images, particularly of higher classes of orders, are so darn elusive! I have been piecing together the Civil Order oF Merit, founded in 1815 and having been modified over time – additions of swords, varying classes, and so on – and can I find images? Not as many as I would like. One fascinating facet of this order is, that for a brief time, there was a special version for awarding to foreigners. This appears to have been because the regular motto – FÜR VERDIENST UND TREUE – was thought unsuitable for a non-citizen who could not be expected to be loyal to Saxony, so a different motto DEM VERDIENST was used instead.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 241 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.