Viewing 3 posts - 226 through 228 (of 228 total)
  • Author
    megan

Today sees the rest of King George V’s commemorative medals, with the Delhi Durbar Medal 1911 and the Silver Jubilee Medal 1935. King George V actually made it to India to be proclaimed Emperor of India, the sole monarch to do so (King George VI intended to go, but growing unease about the rise of the Third Reich deterred him), and India became independent before Elizabeth II succeeded him).

The Silver Jubilee Medal 1935 was awarded in silver to people in the UK and British-held territories (who were given free rein in how to award them).

megan

Somewhat at a loose end now the UK medals are pretty much done, I wandered off to contemporary Austrian medals. You hear a lot about the Austrian Empire’s awards, but not those of tne 2nd Republic (1945-present). OK, you hear even less about those of the 1st Republic, but I have yet to delve into those… anyway, I recently updated my own website, so having done that research, why not share it here?

Today, then, I added the massive Honour Badge for Merit of the Republic of Austria, which is the sole order that they award – in 12 classes plus 3 medals!

megan

Continuing with present-day Austria, I just added the Decoration of Honour for Science and the Arts, the Decoration for Military Merit, and the Cross of Honour for Science and Art.

Viewing 3 posts - 226 through 228 (of 228 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.