Viewing 5 posts - 211 through 215 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    megan

Aaarghhh! So sorry, I started researching firefighter medals… and the whole afternoon has disappeared as I gathered information and images. I’ll put them up next week!

megan

As promised a heap of unofficial medals for firefighters. Lacking an official long service medal until 1954, a collection of organisations presented their own, generally with a silver medal for 20 years of full-time service and a bronze medal for fewer years of service. So today I have added medals handed out by the Association of Professional Fire Brigade Officers, the National Fire Brigades Association, the National Fire Brigades Union, and the British Fire Services Association.

Next time, there will be a few of the awards made by local authorities to the firefighters they employed, of which I have found quite a few pictures (but very little information!).

megan

Seeking additional images for British Fire Services Association awards, I found a new one which was established in 2015! So I added that too… and then as promised added a small collection of local authority fire brigade awards. Some are quite beautiful – although I did find two awards from different authorities with the same obverse! It would seem that medal manufacturers were quite happy to reuse dies for different customers.

megan

Today I added the Colonial Fire Brigades Long Service Medal. No images of either the Elizabeth II versions alas – can anyone help me out?

megan

After a fruitless search for any pictures of the Ceylon Fire Service Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, I turned my attention to medals for those working in the prison service. Whilst many other nations have recognised the work of correctional services, the UK has rather lagged behind. In 2002 a medal was instituted for the Northern Ireland Prison Service, more to recognise service during the Troubles; then in 2010 a proper long service and good conduct medal was instituted for the various prison services in the UK (Her Majesty’s Prison Service which serves England and Wales, the Northern Ireland Prison Service, Scottish Prison Service, and the prisons on Guernsey, Jersey, and the Isle of Man).

Viewing 5 posts - 211 through 215 (of 215 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.