Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    megan

Got busy last week with the next cohort of distance learners starting… this involved having to go and teach them on Saturday morning which disrupted my weekend. Next week I am on vacation.

However, I’m here today with a couple more Hong Kong medals for you: The Hong Kong Royal Dockyard Police Long Service Medal (plenty of images) and the short-lived Hong Kong Disciplined Services Medal. This is a long service medal awarded to members of the Hong Kong Custom and Excise Service and the Hong Kong Immigration Service; but it was only awarded 1986-1997 and I haven’t managed to find a single picture!

megan

I’m back… but didn’t see a single medal in Turkey!

So in the UK Long Service & Good Conduct Medals section I have added the Tietsin British Emergency Corps Medal and the Malta Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Very little is known about the first (and I’m sorry, the only image in my collection looks like it’s a replica), and the second was only awarded 99 times! At least I found images of that aplenty!

There are more police medals to come…

megan

Sorry, didn’t get much done today due to a sudden flap over needing to renew my passport. We’re off to Cyprus at Christmas, and IF there’s a no deal Brexit apparently the EU doesn’t understand the words ‘Expiry Date’ and think a passport expires 10 years after it was issued, not on the date it, er, expires!

No matter, on to more interesting things. The Mauritius Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, a beast about which even the Medals Year Book (and the Internet) has very little knowledge! Still, managed to find a couple of pictures for you 🙂

megan

I went astray today and added the Order of the Golden Lion from the pre-1918 German state of Hesse (mostly because I recently added it to my own website!).

megan

Daughter was moving to a new apartment last week, which occupied my time.

Today I have added the Order of the Republic of Macedonia, the highest award of the Republic of North Macedonia, formerly part of Yugoslavia. The nation’s very name is a topic of contention with Greece, as they have a part of the country that’s called Macedonia, so after a while of being called the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM) the compromise name of North Macedonia was agreed with Greece at the beginning of 2019 – not without a fair bit of protest from those who still objected to the use of the name Macedonia at all.

It’s often harder to find modern orders, decorations and medals than it is to find historic ones, so I’m glad to be able to share this with you!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by megan.
    megan

Some more Macedonian orders for you this week: the Order of 8th September, the Illinden Order and the Order of Merit of the Republic of Macedonia.

megan

Three more awards from the Republic of Northern Macedonia: the Order of Military Merit, the Medal for Merit of Macedonia, and the Medal for Bravery.

megan

Over to the USA today, with the 2020 Medal of Distinction of the Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels, which has just been awarded to Colonel Khriss Urband, who wasted no time in photographing it and sending it to me.

megan

Today I added the Commemorative Medal for the Balkan War 1912-13 from the Kindom of Bulgaria. This was awarded to combatants, non-combatants, and to the next-of-kin of the fallen… the medal being idential in all cases, but they had different ribbons. It’s the combatant ribbon on the one I added (non-combatants have a white central stripe and next-of-kin a black one).

megan

Couple of Australian medals today: the Star of Gallantry and the Australian Operational Service Medal (Special Operations).

megan

Some more modern Australian medals today: The Australian Operational Service Medal (Border Protection), the Afghanistan Medal, and the Australian Active Service Medal that the AOSM replaced.

megan

Alright, I was away in Cyprus for the holidays (where I didn’t see a single medal!), but now I’m back and continuing with British long service medals… with the second Mauritious Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (of which I have failed to find a single image!) and the New Zealand Police Medal, which was apparently also awarded to prison officers, who have WDR (for ‘warder’ one assumes) in front of their names.

megan

Not quite sure what happened last week, it was suddenly supper time on Sunday evening and I’d not got around to adding anything to the images database! Sorry…

Even with having been at a conference Friday and getting home half-way through Saturday, I’ve managed my time better this weekend and – courtesy of Robin Nicholson who has already managed to get hold of one and sent me a picture – I have added the newest US Air Force award, the Remote Combat Effects Campaign Medal which is awarded to those to pilot drones into combat. Although these fellows aren’t actually IN combat (as defined by putting themselves in harm’s way), the mental strain of their work can take quite a toll. Looking at the USAF section where I put it, I’m going to have to get to grips with the order of precendence sometime soon!

megan

Back to British Meritorious and Long Service Medals (which is ALMOST done, at long last!), I added the Seychelles Police Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (or would have, could I find a picture or even much information of the elusive beast… what little I found is there) and the South Africa Police Good Service Medal. Fortunately I found more about that 🙂

Just one more police medal, then it’s on to fire service ones, then those for prison officers, and this section is done!

megan

Today I added the last police medal – being the South African Railway and Harbour Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Bit of a mouthful, and I haven’t got any images of it! Interestingly, both it and the South Africa Police Good Service Medal I added last week can be awarded instantly for acts of gallantry, which leaves a bit of a quandary when a brave cop later completes the necessary term of service for a long service medal! You see, a gallanty award has a bar to indicate this, so what do you add for long service?

Then on to awards for firefighters. They’ve languished behind police officers, it was 1954 before they got a long service medal, or at least, one awarded by the Crown. Before then, just about every local authority had their own award for their firefighters. Maybe I’ll see if I can find some for you in due course.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.