This topic contains 191 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  megan 6 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 181 through 192 (of 192 total)
  • Author

megan

Today a couple of medals for the ambulance service. The ‘official’ award is the Ambulance Service (Emergency Duties) Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, but as this was only established in 1996, the Association of Chief Ambulance Officers had been awarding their own Service Medal. Not sure if they award it any longer now that there is an official award to be had!

megan

Today I’ve added the Royal Fleet Auxiliary Service Medal. The Royal Fleet Auxiliary are the people who resupply Royal Naval ships at sea, but their vessels are crewed by civilians who are therefore not eligible for Royal Navy medals. I also added a couple of medals for volunteers, the Women’s Royal Voluntary Service Long Service Medal and the Voluntary Medical Service Medal for members of the British Red Cross and St Andrew’s Ambulance Corps (a Scottish organisation). Members of St John’s Ambulance Brigade have their own medal, the Service Medal of the Order of St John.

megan

Royal Air Force Long Service and Good Conduct Medals today, as well as the far scarcer Royal Air Force Levies LS&GC Medal awarded to locally recruited individuals in Iraq. As only 309 medals were awarded it’s not surprising I couldn’t find all variations!

megan

Today I added the Air Efficiency Award which, when it was introduced in 1943 was unique in being awarded to all ranks of the Volunteer and Auxiliary Air Force. This is believed to be in recognition of the use of aircrew made up of both officers and other ranks. However, only officers were permitted the post-nominals A.E.

Next up, for the UK, is a raft of police long service medals… unless I get distracted by Robin who has sent me a pile of United Nations medal images for the site!

megan

I should never talk about what I’m going to add next! Or maybe I should…

Yesterday a whole bunch of World War 1 service medals from various towns and counties in Ohio arrived, through the kind offices of John Bristow, who I believe is a life member of the OMSA. I wasted no time in adding them, they are a delightful testimony to an age where patriotism meant duty and service, and others were ready to celebrate those who ‘did their bit’.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  megan.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  megan.

megan

And so, today I DID get around to the United Nations medals. First pass: get them into the correct order (supplied by Robin Nicholson, thank you!). We have most, but not all of them, courtesy of Ed Haynes, Darrell, Jerseyguy, Patzim, and Rusty Knight. We also have a couple of UN-related medals, which I’ve tucked away at the end, from Frivilig and Rortiz.

The next task will be to see if I can find the missing ones (a big download from Robin will help there) and then settle down to setting everything up in the x.0 image being accompanied by information about dates and terms of award and the x.1 image being the description. What with the information Robin sent and the vast amount Darrell, in particular, has already posted there is plenty to draw upon.

gjmcleod
    Participant

Hi there

If you get stuck…..you could always try here…….       https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/united-nations-medals

G.

megan

Thanks, G! This week, though, I’ve been filling in the holes from the images Robin sent… so we’ve now got an almost complete set of UN medals in the correct order. It’s looking quite impressive!

megan

Been a bit busy with end of year stuff at university, but added the UK Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal today.

megan

I’ve had a busy week – it was my birthday! – culminating by turning up to church this morning and being told that I was teaching the adult Sunday School class with zero notice/prep time. Just as well I’d studied the assigned scriptures 🙂

So today for you the UK Special Constabulary Long Service Medal. Special Constables are volunteers who work alongside professional police officers, receiving the same training and having the same powers… but unlike volunteers in the military, they are not paid for their services.

megan

More police medals – the Royal Ulster Constabulary Long Service Medal and the Colonial Police Long Service Medal.

The Royal Ulster Constabulary one is remarkable as it only required 18 months’ fulltime service, no doubt a comment on how dangerous it could be to be a police officer in Northern Ireland during the Troubles! Right at the end of its existence, the RUC was awarded a collective George Cross, only the 2nd time such a collective award was made (the other was to the island of Malta during WW2), and blue edges were added to the ribbon to indicate this. Very few can have been awarded as the RUC was replaced by the Police Service of Northern Ireland at about the same time!

megan

Some more police medals today: Overseas Territories Long Service Medal (only awarded since 2012, so I haven’t found any pictures yet), Colonial Special Constabulary Long Service Medal and its successor the Overseas Territories Special Constabularly Long Service Medal and 2 Ceylon Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medals – it existed twice, between 1925 and 1930, and again between 1950 and 1972! I found the second one all right, but the only specimen of the first one was on the wrong ribbon 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 181 through 192 (of 192 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.