Orders & Medals Society of America Forums General Chat What would you suggest?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    KevinBeyer
    Participant

I attended the 2021 Convention in OMSA and one thing that really struck me was the lack of younger collectors.  At 52 years of age, I think I was one of the youngest people at the event.  I would say that of the people I met, many, if not all, were fairly advanced in their collecting.  A lot of these people had been around the block more than a few times!

The question I want to ask the community is this:  If you were talking to someone who was thinking about starting in the field of medal collecting, what would you suggest they collect?

I have given this some thought.  Some areas of collecting are no longer stratified with entry level, mid-level, and high level items.  There is no ground floor for someone to step on.  There seem to be few areas where someone could start out and then, over time, become the area expert.

With that in mind, if I were to meet someone just starting out, I would suggest the following areas of collecting where I don’t feel a lot of attention has been given.

1.  VFW or American Legion convention badges.  National, or individual state level.
    2.  Military Order of the Cootie membership badges and bars.  (Especially bars!)
    3.  Civil War monument dedication souvenirs
    4.  Victory Loan / War Bond medals
    5.  Patriotism medals

I think each of these areas is under appreciated, or under researched, at this time.  I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the cost of entry is rather low for someone who wanted to specialize, rather than be a generalist.

What does everyone else think?

Kevin Beyer
    OMSA #7096

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Good question. I tell beginners to look around at everything including other collectibles like coins and other small size items. Read some history including family history. Soon they will find that their interests tend to cluster around certain areas. Over the years expect refinements in your interests. That is a life time process and then just follow your heart and your collector instincts. As interests change you will find that you have items to sell which will teach you the basics of hobby economics and in time you may also become a vest pocket dealer.

Dave
    Participant

I know this is kind of a “general” direction, but I started with ribbon bars.  Something like that could lead to ribbon racks, then eventually the medals themselves to define the racks.  My first true collected medal was an Iron Cross 2nd class, 1914, purchased for $15 (in 1983).  But I continued to focus on ribbon bars, assisted by my handy book Ribbons of Decorations and Medals by Guido Rosignoli, that I read through, page for page, about 50 times before I even turned 18.  The book, published in 1977, is still all over the web in eBay and Amazon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.