This topic contains 6 replies, has 3,206 voices, and was last updated by  Frank Dutil 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Frank Dutil
    Participant

As the title plainly says… "What the H…?"

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1914-WWI-German-Wilhelm-II-Campaign-Against-France-England-Russia-USA-Medal-/400311890836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3472b394

[attachment=1]german medal obv.jpg[/attachment]
    [attachment=0]german medal rev.jpg[/attachment]
    german medal obv.jpg
    german medal rev.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

John_Allgood
    Keymaster

Odd, clearly unofficial.

BTW, nice article in the latest JOMSA. Not relevant to this topic but I look forward to reading it.

Best wishes,

John

jb floyd

Interesting. You rarely see these patriotic medallions mentioning the US, other than in relation to submarine warfare.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

I agree, odd to see "USA" on it when only the year 1914 is mentioned on the medal.

ADDENDA: I’m informed it is a patriotic medal produced by Mayer & Wilhelm of Stuttgart.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Another note…

I’ve been informed the U.S.W. inscription on the reverse stands for: "und so weiter" : = and others.

:oops: :roll:

medalnet
    Participant

Putting "u.s.w." meaning really etc:etc:etc is pretty amazing, pretty bold…. but maybe that is because it was coined during or at the beginning of the war. Nothing indicates it to be a commemorative medals. The only date on it is 1914!

panarion

definitely a patriotic medal probably issued as a fund raising item.( and a rather smart one at that)

u.s.w does indicate that the Kaisers army is willing to take on all comers. A nice little piece of propaganda and this early in the war many men on all sides saw the war as a big adventure that would all be over by Christmas.

Lets not forget that the Kaisers army got off to a fairly good start even if it did not all go as per the Schlieffen plan. It was obviously stamped in anticipation of the the Kaisers army doing very well for the people back home.

In the East the Austrians held up well and the Germans not so badly in the west even though the Germans had started to entrench after the entente push at Mons.

The Eastern front still had come fluidity early in the war and the lines on the map changed frequently unlike in the west.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.