Orders & Medals Society of America Forums Other Medal Related Topics Identifications Unknown Soviet / Post Sovier period Medal – Minesweeping?

• This topic has 2,111 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I am trying to identify this medal that is amongst mainly Soviet Russian Insignia

on a side cap obtained in Russia by the father of an Irish friend.

[attachment=0]3 downloadxxx.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]aassadownload.jpg[/attachment]

Connaughtranger.
    aassadownload.jpg
    3 downloadxxx.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jomsa editor

As you suspected, the inscription reads "For Minesweeping". Dick Flory

Hallo Dick, :D

thanks for that titbit, any info on when, what criteria it was given for?

Kevin. :D

Christophe
    Participant

Hi,

Don’t know a lot about this one, but it is not an official medal, nor somethng (badge…) official. One of the numerous private initiatives…

Cheers.

Ch.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Terribly sorry to contradict you Christrophe, but it is in fact as offical as they come. Badge for minesweeping, instituted on 16 May 1975 by Order #141 of the Minister of Defence of the USSR.

Kevin, I’m translating the award criteria, should have it for you some time tomorrow.

Cheers!

Christophe
    Participant

Hi Frank,

OK I stand corrected.. :mrgreen: Many thanks.

Cheers.

Ch.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Badge for Military Minesweeping.
    Instituted on 16 May 1975 by Order 141 of the Minister of Defense of the USSR.

Awarded to members of the Soviet Navy who distinguished themselves in minesweeping duties, for the destruction and disarmament of sea mines, and who displayed skill and courage in the exercise of their functions.

According to the regulations, the badge is conferred on the orders of the Commander of the Soviet Navy upon recommendation from fleet and flotilla commanders.

The first badges were awarded to the Soviet sailors under rear-admiral Zuenko who cleared the Bay of Bengal and access to the main port of Chittagong in Bangladesh, and to the Soviet sailors under Captain 1st grade Apollonova who cleared 1250 square miles of the Gulf of Suez.

You also have a second Soviet award on that hat: https://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8936

Christophe
    Participant

Badge for Military Minesweeping.(…) and to the Soviet sailors under Captain 1st grade Apollonova who cleared 1250 square miles of the Gulf of Suez.

The Captain 1st grade was a female… ;)

Ch.

Many thanks for the info regarding the items on the hat, I have passed the info onto the owner
    Is it possible the hat is a put together for tourists to buy?

Christophe
    Participant

Absolutely, it is. You find these on every Russian flea market, and even in Berlin… :(

Cheers.

Ch.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Many thanks for the info regarding the items on the hat, I have passed the info onto the owner
    Is it possible the hat is a put together for tourists to buy?

Oh yes! You’ll also find them at just about every gun show or flea market in North America!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.