Orders & Medals Society of America Forums Other Medal Related Topics Identifications Unknown 3 place Medal Bar – Looks German

• This topic has 1,587 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    john f.
    Participant

Picked this medal bar up last week but cannot identify the ribbon(s). The bar appears to be German made but I can’t find any official Germany medals or orders that match this type of ribbon. Maybe the bar is from an association/society? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    John
    unknown medal bar.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    megan

Liechtenstein?

jb floyd

Megan raises an interesting possibility.

The style of the mount is certainly Germanic, but the ribbons are not obvious German ribbons. I’ve not run into these ribbons in the hundreds of German mounted groups I’ve handled over the years.

Unfortunately, official Liechtenstein awards are few and far between, and unofficial awards are documented nowhere I’ve ever seen.

The mystery continues.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Megan wins a cookie!

Ribbons for the Lichtenstein Medal of Merit
    (Fürstlich Liechtensteinischer Verdienstorden)
    Probably a recipient of multiple grades of the award…

http://www.medal-medaille.com/golden-medal-merit-principality-liechtenstein-frstliche-liechtensteinisches-goldenes-verdienstzeichen-p-2816.html

jb floyd

The ribbons look blue/orange to me, but I have difficulty with some red/orange shades. If they are red, then this makes infinite sense.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

On the ribbons pictured, both colours seem old and slightly faded. And as you mention, this makes so much sense.

john f.
    Participant

Hello All,

Thank you for the replies. I apologize in my delay in my response. For unknown reasons I am not getting notification when someone replies to my post, although I have that future turned on. The Liechtenstein Medal of Merit is certainly a good guess (thanks Megan) with its similar ribbon but the ribbons on the bar are definitely blue and orange. The closest I got was the Cross for Justice and Freedom from the Netherlands but despite being the right colors the center stripe on the Cross of Justice & Freedom is thinner and has a thin white stripe along the edge. I have ruled out all the official German State decorations so I’m going to continue to assume that this belongs to some German social organization. As in the lyrics from the song by the 1990’s band "the C + C Music Factory" goes this is just another "thing that make you go hmmmm?" This hobby isn’t frustrating enough for me…maybe I will take up golf.
    CF&J.jpg

Attachments:
    john f.
    Participant

I forgot to mention that on the bar the medals were not all position in the same place.
    Unknow Bar.jpg

Attachments:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.