• This topic has 1,988 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

hello,every one
    [attachment=1]IMG0114A.jpg[/attachment]
    [attachment=0]IMG0118A.jpg[/attachment]
    the words is "gloria vulneratis pro jure et ltbertate"

i just got this red cross badge,could anyone tell me any info about this?anything would be helpful~
    thanks alot guys~
    IMG0114A.jpg
    IMG0118A.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    geoff reeves

From what I could find on Google – it’s French, and seems to be a wound badge of some sort. The latin translates as: "Glory Unto Those Wounded for Justice & Liberty" – and during my search I found examples in bronze and gold as well. If you enter the latin motto into Google you’ll see a few results come up.

Hope that helps,

Geoff

jb floyd

The arms on the obverse are those of the Allies, so I’d opine that it’s an International Red Cross badge for care of the wounded in WWI.

hi,Geoff,Floyed,thanks alot for the help!

my english isnt good,thats why i searching those latins first but still found nothing :oops:
    anyway,now becoz of yours help,i find some introduction about the badge on the net

Thanks!!

I am fairly certain this item was not for presentation for being wounded while serving in the military
    during WW1, if it were it would be seen on many period early post war pictures,
    it also does not feature in the O.M.S.A. Publication:-

" Wound Medals, Insignia And Next of Kin Awards of The Great War"

By Arthur H. Houston and Vicken Koundakjian, published in 1995.

Its more than likely a commemorative Red Cross item, but as to an official piece or unofficial piece,
    no idea as yet.

Connaught Ranger

lukasz gaszewski
    Participant

The fact that the badges are not mentioned in Arthur Houston and Vic Koundakjian’s book only means that there are still areas of medallic science worth exploring. And it is a good news after all!

OK, I have found a few:

An identical one:
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/a … -115631858

The same is also in JK Militaria (w only a tiny photo):
    http://www.jkmilitaria.com/France.html

On the same page there is another model in the form of a regular medal, but it duplicates the same genral pattern.

JK Miliaria also gives probably the most comprehensive description (let me quote):

WW1 badge for the wounded. These were mainly used prior to the official 1916 (December) release of the Wounded Medal (Medaille Blesses). Purportedly, it was intended as a badge of distinction for all Allies (who qualified). According to our research, there were 3 distinct types of this badge:

– 1st pattern in form of a cross with symbols of 4 Western Allies ( USA, Great Britain, Italy and France). This is the rarest of all.

– 2nd pattern in form of the oval badge with a down-turned sword and a pinback (see image below in Sold section). This pattern seems to be the most common.

– 3rd pattern (offered here) in form of a medal. Rare.

2nd and 3rd pattern used symbology of several Allies (Russia, Great Britain, Belgium, Serbia, Montenegro, Japan and France). All used same motto: "GLORIA VULNERATIS PRO JURE ET LIBRETATE" (Glory to those wounded for right and liberty). All featured red cross enamelled centers.

Except the fact that I strongly disagree w. #1 being the 1st pattern (Italy entered WWI in 1915, US in 1917) it is a very good description.

I am also not sure if the medal was so rare indeed. I have instantly found 2 on the French EB (both auctions have already ended – hurry up before they disappear):
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/MEDAILLE-DECORATION- … 0828777605
    on the French tricolor and a plane
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie … 0536983298
    a very nice one made probably later at war, there is the coat of arms if Italy and the double-headed Russian eagle was replaced by the American one. Note the ribbon made up of the flags of allies. I like it very much.

BTW: it is interesting that they chose the unicorn rather than the lion as the symbol of Britain. Can anyone read the motto on the scroll? Do I read correctly: "HONI SOIT QUI MAL I PENSE?"

Hallo Lukas, :D

even taking into account the information you have provided, I have never seen a generic badge
    award-able to all Allied soldiers regardless of nationality who were wounded in WW1, the cost alone would have been prohibitive for France to even contemplate such an award.

Still nothing says it was an official award for that evidence of Regulations, criteria, Issuing decree etc..etc would have to be found, and if it was an official French award then record of it would be available in some French Archive.

So far I have never encountered any picture of a post WW1 soldier be it officer or man wearing such an award either on military or civil attire and I have looked at many pictures, nor does the item in question turn up in groups of soldiers medals
    of any of the Allied Nationalities.

Anything posted on a site selling military awards and insignia and included in the description area,has to be taken with a grain of salt, remember the old maxim buy the item, not the story.

Even the links to the awards you show, have two distinct variations in ribbons, one medal comes complete with crossed artillery cannon, I suppose out there are two crossed rifle versions for the infantry, (and maybe two crossed swordfish for the navy :P)

As an example even today, "Polish" versions of the WW1 Inter-allied Victory medal in two sizes, can be found, even though no such item ever existed officially.

So until one turns up in pictures, or one turns up with credible paperwork of issue,

then in my opinion this item has to remain as an unofficial French Red Cross Commemorative item.

Kevin. :D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.