Orders & Medals Society of America Forums British Medal Collecting British Orders The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael & St. George

• This topic has 3,904 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cecawthorne

Hello All,

Some time ago, I had the opportunity to snap a picture of a beautiful GCMG Star of the Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George that I thought I would share with others here.

This star was quite scarce as it was a very early Rundell Bridge & Rundell made star as evident by the engraving on the back. What made it even more special was the engraved No. 2 on the back tracing its origins back to Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge and the son of George III. The workmanship was absolutely stunning.

Best Regards,
    Chris
    St. Michael & St. George Reduced.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    sirius
    Keymaster

Very nice Chris, so this is clearly pre-Victorian. It looks like he was invested with the GCMG in 1825. This from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Adolphus,_Duke_of_Cambridge

[attachment=0]Adolphus_Frederick_Duke_of_Cambridge.JPG[/attachment]
    Looks like he is wearing the star of the GCH in this portrait.

Cheers, -Peter
    Adolphus_Frederick_Duke_of_Cambridge.JPG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    paul wood
    Participant

Chris,

Very nice to see and 1815-20 version of the Ionian Islands and Maltese Order of St Michael and George.

Paul

Jumpmaster
    Participant

A striking piece to be sure, I think this is one of the more beautiful orders out there, in all grades. Was there a period when Rundell Bridge & Rundell were the only manufacturers of the order or were there several appointed at one time? And when did they cease manufacturing the order?
    Tony

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Stunning! 8-)

Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.