Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #66129


    I am trying to describe a medal that has a particular type of suspension.  The suspension is akin to the type used on the Italian WWI Victory medal.  Alexander Laslo in his book Interallied Victory Medals of World War I refers to this suspension as ‘staffa’.  Is this the term that is commonly used?  Or, was it unique to Italian medals?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Kevin Beyer
    OMSA #7096

    jb floyd

    The “staffa” suspension is not unique to Italian medals. There are some medals from Baden, for example, with variants of that same wide suspension, although the Germans don’t seem to apply a specific term to it.  I’ve used “staffa” for many years of cataloging and nobody seems to have been too confused by it.


    Thanks for the response, Jeff.  I am writing a new article for JOMSA and I wasn’t quite sure what to call it.  So, “staffa” it is!


Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.