• This topic has 10,581 voices and 25 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rdave
    Participant

A home-made cast copy.
    Thai WW1 Interallied Victory Medal copy 6 s.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    rdave
    Participant

There are more copy types, but not in my collection. Maybe other forum members can post their copies (or – I am always looking for new copies of this medal – so now is your chance to get rid of any in a kind way ;)

paul wood
    Participant

The Laslo Repro type 2.

This was made by Earnst Blass.

Q: Does anyone know where and when Blass made these ?

Dave

The late lamented master forger Ernst Blass had a number of workshops in the Kathmandu area which produced his masterpieces around the 1970s-80’s.

Interestingly his library is coming up for sale with Andreas Thies, some fantastic books he certainly studied his subject well so as to make his masterpieces convincing.

All the best,

Paul

usmcgungho

What is the most valuable WWI Victory medal? It seems that it used to be Cuba or Brazil?

Richard

paul wood
    Participant

I still think a Lazlo type 1 Brazil with engraver’s name would top the price list (the type 2 turns up).

Paul

jb floyd

I agree with Paul. The mint-marked Brazilian remains elusive and expensive. The Cuban Victory Medals used to be scarce, but a few Cubans who lived in Europe seem to have drained the medals from Cuba and put them on eBay. What started off as a $700 item became a $150 item, although the supply has dried up again and the price is creeping upward.

usmcgungho

Thank you gentlemen. Now I know what to look for.
    Richard

rdave
    Participant

Richard,

Beware of course of the copies with these also ;-)

At least we have Mike Shank from Virginia (on ebay = mcstls), who puts out copies of both regularly (along with copies of the whole series of WW1 victory medals and bars, the whole series of UN medals, plus other US medals, and others).

This weeks Cuban Victory Medal copy:

Cuban Victory Medal

This is a very nice medal with very good detail. On the face it has Chobillon hallmark. On the rim, it has part of BRONZE and another mark that looks like AC in a triangle stamped on it. I have no idea of its age. This is how I got it and this is how I am selling it. Very nice for any collection.

At the end of WWI the 14 Allied Nations who had contributed troops agreed to issue a Victory Medal to thier forces.

The picture is of the front and back of the medal, the auction is for one medal [attachment=1]KGrHqRiE7DgefMtZBO0qNdh8-60_12.JPG[/attachment]
    [attachment=0]KGrHqVHJCkE63YKimkpBO0qNeGh760_12.JPG[/attachment]

The dodgy wording came after his auctions started getting flagged to ebay as copies, without clearly identifying them as such. Since he has them made, of course he knows how old they are :evil:

He also does the Brazilian copies, but doesn’t have one up this week.

Dave
    KGrHqRiE7DgefMtZBO0qNdh8-60_12.JPG
    KGrHqVHJCkE63YKimkpBO0qNeGh760_12.JPG

Attachments:
    John_Allgood
    Keymaster

Rdave,

Can you give some more specifics on why the medal is a copy? I have no knowledge of the various Victory medals (aside from the British and American versions). It would be useful, for me at least, to see the differences.

Thanks,

John

rdave
    Participant

Medal Counterfeiting thread moved to:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=646

rdave
    Participant

Hi All,

It seems that Mike Shank has changed his ebay ID again, and now selling Victory medal fakes under the name "dlssha3"

See here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dlssha3/m.html? … 7675.l2562

(PDF print attached for historical reference)

He now identifies for example the Siam version as "VERY HARD TO FIND"

(PDF print attached for historical reference)

Rgds,
    Dave
    2015 10 11 dlssha3 _ eBay.pdf
    2015 10 11 FAKE WW1 Siam Thailand Victory Medal Full Size _ eBay.pdf
    New Fake Siam WW1 Victory Medal – Shank Fake – 1 – 700.jpg
    New Fake Siam WW1 Victory Medal – Shank Fake – 2 – 700.jpg

Attachments:
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.