Orders & Medals Society of America Forums German Medal Collecting German Empire 1871-1918 Saxe-Meiningen Cross of Honor for NCOs?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

I attach a photo of an interesting medal bar with a Friedrich August Medal in Bronze and Saxe-Meiningen Cross of Honor for Merit. The former would only be granted to NCOs or lower ranks in the Saxon Kingdom, but the latter was presumably reserved for officers. Does the existence of this bar show that an NCO was promoted to the rank of officer, or rather that Saxe-Meiningen would bestow these medals on NCOs? Likewise, would it potentially be a Saxe-Meiningen award to a Saxon Kingdom soldier? Any advice would be welcome. Best, Tom

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    megan

The Kingdom of Saxony’s Friedrich August Medal (Friedrich August Medaille) was awarded to recognise merit displayed by sergeants and more junior ranks in the army and civilians of similar status. The Saxe-Menigen Cross of Honour for Merit in War (Ehrenkreuz für Verdienst im Kriege 1914-15 für Kombattanten) could be awarded to any rank, as far as I am aware.

Tom
    Participant

Thank you very much Megan. That is good to know. I wonder why there is no iron cross on this bar.  Would a soldier with a Friedrich August Medal have to apply for an Iron Cross second class? Just curious.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.