• This topic has 1,300 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi There,

Anyone know anything about this award?

I have been told the Ribbon is a Tri-colour 30mm wide.

Any help would be great.

Regards,
    Chris.

felix

The ribbon for the official award is indeed tricolor blue white and red, but there is a lot of unofficial medals with different ribbons.

A picture would help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Felix,

Sadly I don’t have the medal/award, so not photo can be taken.

I was asking because I just need to know more about the ribbon that was issued with the medal/award.

felix

The first rescue medals were given under the reign of Louis XIV, they continued to be awarded during the Revolution and the Empire. They became officials in 1816. At this time they were non portable. In 1831, the portable version was created by Louis-Philippe, the ribbon was tricolor blue white and red.

The official name since 1901 is medal of honor for act of courage and self-sacrifice.

The averse was modified following the differents political regimes but the reverse was almost the same between 1836 and 1899.

A specific pattern was institued for the navy (and later merchant marine) in 1899, a red anchor was added in 1909 on the ribbon.

Here is one attributed in 1881. This design was used between 1874 and 1899.
    courage1881rv.jpg
    courage1881av.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Many thanks for this interesting lesson on this medal, always nice to learn.

Regards.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The conditions of obtaining of this decoration impose to put its own life in danger in the act of rescue, What that is not in the professional executive
    (fire brigades for example), That the victim is not a member of your own family… statistically it is the most attributed during rescue on road accident and risk of drowning.
    following this link you’ll see the gold level
    http://www.bacqueville-medailles.com/in … c231711473

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.