This topic contains 12 replies, has 8,409 voices, and was last updated by  frivilig 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

frivilig
    Participant

Found the attached medal brevets today at a Washington area antique show, these were among the emigration and personal papers for a German immigrant by the name of Adolph Matschuck, who arrived in Baltimore around 1870 and was naturalized in 1878.

The Centennial medal brevet (top) was issued by the Imperial German Consulate in Baltimore. Anybody know if it was SOP for consulates to issue brevets to emigrated veterans?

Bill
    1870 medal brevet reduced 25%.JPG
    Erinnerungs Medaille.JPG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

medalnet
    Participant

Wow, treasures still exist! Very nice!

fred j borgmann
    Participant

I have one for a WWI Honor cross that came through the Chicago consulate. I also knew a German WWI veteran who in the 1960’s was getting financial veterans benefit payments from the West German government. He had lived in Milwaukee for decades by then.

medalnet
    Participant

I have one for a WWI Honor cross that came through the Chicago consulate. I also knew a German WWI veteran who in the 1960’s was getting financial veterans benefit payments from the West German government. He had lived in Milwaukee for decades by then.

Can you show us a picture?

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Here it is
    Hind Doc.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

medalnet
    Participant

That’s very interesting! thanks for sharing this unique document!

Frank Dutil
    Participant

medalnet
    Participant

Thanks, Frank, but I was specifically pointing out the fact that this went to a German living abroad. I am curious to know if other members have documents similar to this with US addresses. There should be more?!

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Oh wow! :shock: I hadn’t even noticed! :oops:

If you’re looking for me, I’ll be under my desk in a fetal position… ;)

panarion

This sort of document is interesting and it highlights just how intertwined American history really is with European history even if it is not at the top level of politics.( and vice versa)

There is a listing under the Federal Medals Banner on this site that shows over 200 German American veterans associations ( Deutscher- Amerikan kriegerbund) so it does not surprise me , though it does interest me how a German document has an American address on it.

That is why i love this site , everyday there is something new to see and learn.

medalnet
    Participant

Here it is

This or very similar document was just offered for sale in Gunzenhausen.

j. mcculloch

Just to catch up on this old thread…….
    I have documents for World War One medals issued to Germans, Austrians and Bulgarians living in the USA in the 1930 s and up to 1941.

I know the Centennial medal was issued via Consulates in the USA and via the various German-American veterans organizations, as their magazines included articles about the medal, how to claim older campaign medals and pension information.

Die Deutsche-American Hausfrau magazine also had a few such articles up until 1917 anyway.

medalnet
    Participant

Just to catch up on this old thread…….
    I have documents for World War One medals issued to Germans, Austrians and Bulgarians living in the USA in the 1930 s and up to 1941.

I know the Centennial medal was issued via Consulates in the USA and via the various German-American veterans organizations, as their magazines included articles about the medal, how to claim older campaign medals and pension information.

Die Deutsche-American Hausfrau magazine also had a few such articles up until 1917 anyway.

Do you have some examples to post here?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.