• This topic has 3,239 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jb floyd

Can anyone shed some light on the possible age of this piece? It’s in beautiful shape, with excellent enamel. The only marks on it are what appear to be French silver marks (a boar’s head and another indistinct mark, possibly a crab) on the pin.
    Dutch Lion knight commander obv 001.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jb floyd

And the reverse. Note the strength of the attachment of the crown and the pin.
    Dutch Lion knight commander rev 001.jpg

Attachments:
    jb floyd

Here are the marks on the pin. If anyone can decipher them, I’d greatly appreciate it.
    Dutch Lion 001.jpg

Attachments:
    paul wood
    Participant

Jeff,

It’s definitely a boar’s head and a crab is quite possible (though it is strange that there is a double guarantee mark). My guess as to date is late 19th century (certainly prior to 1905).

All the best,

Paul

Henk-Willem
    Participant

I’m not very familiar with marks. But I can ask the question on a Dutch forum. Of course only if I am allowed to use your pictures.

Henk-Willem
    Participant

I don’t get much answers on the Dutch forum. The only answer that I’ve got is that it is an older piece, because there are no "W"’s between the arms of the cross.

today I’ve bought a little book about Dutch gold, silver and platinum marks from 1795 until now. The swine head is only mentioned once in that book:

The swine head is used as a small stamp from 1831 until 1893.
    A medium sized head is used from 1831 until 1855.
    And two small identical heads together indicates a piece with a chain or another small piece that doesn’t have the possiblity to stamp on it, attached to the piece with mark. These 2 heads are used from 1831 until 1865. The heads indicate a "tax sign".

The book doesn’t mention any sizes, but I think that you have the small head.

jb floyd

Many thanks. I’ve learned something new today.

Henk-Willem
    Participant

Jeff,
    Can you identify the small stample? It should be a letter of the normal alphabet (I believe we use the Latin alphabet?). This letter changes every year.
    But I can’t identify it. Maybe that you can do it, because you have the real piece.
    Many thanks in advance.

jb floyd

Unfortunately, I don’t have the piece in hand (it’s at my photographers so it can go in our next catalog). I looked at the stamp from every possible angle and never could get my brain to make the image look like anything. At some angles it looks something like the French crab mark, but it simply was never clear enough to identify fully.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.