• This topic has 3,636 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Frank Dutil
    Participant

I found this for sale on a Russian auction site for $80 (I didn’t buy it, it’s still there). I’m no expert, I honestly couldn’t tell a fake from the real McCoy unless the fake was really obvious. But this particular piece has had me come back for looksees 5 days in a row now…

It’s either the bast fake/repro ever or the guy’s selling a real one and doesn’t know it? Or am I missing something obvious about it?

Please enlighten me. This sucker’s in my thoughts and dreams!
    lenin.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    felix

Pictures are poor, so it’s always hard to be sure but in my opinion it’s a good copy, you find the same (?) here :

http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=24372

Christophe
    Participant

Bravo FX,

Well spotted !! :D

Cheers.

Ch.

lukasz gaszewski
    Participant

A popular replica of cheap metal. I think as long as it is not being sold as the original, it should not be called fake.

ed muller
    Participant

Lenin’s beard had a rounded point as in badges over 368,000. It should be more pointed for screwback. Are you familiar with the Good Lenin/ Evil Lenin change in bust of Lenin? Seems they used the wrong example.

A real example for comparison.
    P8030022-4.jpg
    P8030023-1.jpg

Attachments:
    ed muller
    Participant

As a follow-up research reveals the recipient of Lenin No. 403 (seen also on GMIC) as follows:

Lenin number 403 – Pytel, Vera Fedorovna – Shockworker "shishelnitsa" foundry; for high impact pace of work in the foundry plant. Awarded on 21/10/32 CEC decree of May 23, 1932 "On awarding the Order of Lenin to Kharkov tractor plant, named for Sergo Ordzhonikidze and individual employees of the plant achieving the leader board, and the organizers of the construction of the plant. Citation : "For meritorious service managers and workers of the Kharkov Tractor Plant named after Sergo Ordzhonikidze, for rapid development of manufacturing process and bring the production of tractors in a shorter period against the plan of 100 tractors a day.

She built tractors to earn Tractor Lenin and survived to trade it for a Type 3 Screwback.

Francois/Frank, I cannot translate that other word. It has a dual meaning that is beyond my meager powers or those of Google.

ed muller
    Participant

On the Good Lenin v Evil Lenin profiles.

This will clearly show the differences in the beard.

All "early" Lenins after transition to Solid Head (Type 2) have a similar profile until approximately 368,000. At that point the Lenin profile was redesigned to give him a "happier" face. That is of course a personal opinion, but the profile changed to give him more hair and a more rounded beard. The example below comes from http://mondvor.narod.ru/OLenin3.htm
    Slide – 11- OLeninZlDob evil-good.jpg

Attachments:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.