Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 718 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

As part of a massive medal/document lot to an Air Force NCO who served from 1947 to retirement in 1967 there were 4 nuclear test certificates from the 1950’s. I am not sure if these are rare or not, but I thought others might enjoy a look at them. In addition to participating in 4 nuclear tests, the NCO also supported the Berlin Airlift and served a tour in Thailand in support of operations in Vietnam.

The first certificate is for Operation Ivy in 1952 and the second is for Operation Teapot in 1955.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here are the other 2 operations. Redwing in 1956 and Plumbbob in 1957. There is also an addition document stating that the individual was exposed to a radiation dose of 1570mr during Operation Redwing.

dave winther

Those are really cool! They remind me of a lot of the Bronze/Silver Star unofficial award certificates that got handed out by units when a regular certificate wasn’t available.

Very cool!

-Dave

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is a Bronze Star certificate from the 102nd Infantry Division. Awarded for meritorious service.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Certificate of Merit and medal group for the same individual. I seem to have goofed and posted this in the wrong place. I thought it was in the document section.

doc riley

As one who served as a medic cleared to work on Combat Crews at an Alert Base, these certificates are most interesting. 1570 mr…

Best,
    Doc

Anonymous
    Inactive

I must admit a lack of knowledge, is 1570 mr a high dosage? The document states that is was his total lifetime exposure.

dave winther

It was. I moved it. I’m a little in flux over the documents section right now. I think what I want to do with the current one is use it only for supporting documents (award certificates) for medals in the database.

What say we make another forum then for document groups (researched individuals and such like this) to share witheveryone?

Thoughts?

doc riley

Oh, that was his dose for lifetime. I’m always sceptical about official radiation dose reports from that time period. If it was a movie there would be a lot of film lying on the cutting room floor.

Best,
    Doc

doc riley

The factors determining a dose of radiation exposed are called REM. It is a unit that measures the effects of ionizing radiation on humans. The dose equivalent in rems is equal to the absorbed dose in rads multiplied by the quality factor of the type of radiation. So as you can see there are many factors used to determine dose received.

Best,
    Doc

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would welcome a forum devoted to document groups. I am always saddened when a paper lot is broken up and have always considered it to be as great of a sin as breaking up a named medal group.

doc riley

Dave,
    It sounds like a good idea to me. I am intrigued by these Nuclear Test Documents. It would be a shame to not have these rare documents of a man’s service archived here for all to see.

Best,
    Doc

Anonymous
    Inactive

——————————————————————————–

It would be really great to have a place to share (as in brag about?) interesting medal related documents. For some eras, as in the case of a few of the nuclear test certificates, no medals other than the Good Conduct Medal were awared. Of equal importanct, the ‘person behind the medal’ is all to often lost when paper lots are lost or broken up. It does seem that an essential part of medal collecting is the preservation of such documents.

yusom
    Participant

Hi,it is my badge Veteran of High Risk troops…

yusom
    Participant

Badges of participants Russians Nuclear Testing…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 718 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.