This topic contains 24 replies, has 4,658 voices, and was last updated by  Christophe 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

felix

In my opinion a repair. The original attach could be very fragile.

fred j borgmann
    Participant

I hope that there are some French experts in house. I have this Medaille militaire version which has me puzzled. It looks good until you turn it over and find that it is uniface and much thinner that the full two sided version. Is this a display copy or an wearing copy for reenactors? Thanks, Fred
    France%20M%20M%201.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

paul wood
    Participant

Dear Fred,

Certainly the quality of Third Republic issue Medaille Militaires are very variable. The earlier ones have double sided suspensions the later uniface suspensions. In ANS part 1 in a lot of 11 there were 5 with doube-sided, 6 uniface suspensions and these were all official the quality obviously went down hill during WWI as so many were being awarded and France was broke by the end of the war. As to you example I tend to think that it is probably a privately, unofficially made piece but possibly a purchase for a lost original. I don’t think it is a re-enactment piece and it looks as if it has some age to it. It is even possible it was made locally for member of the colonial forces either in Africa or Indochina where you frequently get local variations of French made pieces. Whatever it is most interesting. Anyhow thats my centimes worth.

All the best,

Paul

megan

As far as I am aware, there has not been a uniface ‘real’ Médaille Militaire, so yours is likely to be a copy – although the purposes for which it was made are naturally not apparent. Perhaps even a movie prop – as nobody would expect to see the back when it’s being worn.

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Thanks Paul! Your thorough (and franc)reply was just what I needed. Fred

Thanks Megan, Those were my original thoughts too. Fred

jb floyd

I’ve seen a very lavish (and expensive) book on the Medaille Militaire with a medal embedded in the learther cover. A uniface copy would have been ideal for this production.

Christophe
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

I don’t think this is the uniface medal used for the book. I’ll check this soon.

Cheers.

Ch.

felix

This not a copy, but just a display medal to be put in a frame. You can find Legion of Honour and National Order of Merit made the same way.

Of course some dealers sale them as cuirassier’s medals…

Christophe
    Participant

And it is not the one used for the famous book…

Ch.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Felix is right on the money. Display purposes only. I have a uniface National Order of Merit that I got incredibly cheap because it is only meant for that purpose.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.