Orders & Medals Society of America Forums American Medal Collecting Federal Medals Medal of Honor ribbons on uniforms

• This topic has 2,828 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    timtezer
    Participant

Isn’t it illegal to sell Medal of Honor ribbons? I guess nobody told Rock Island Auctions, because they are offering two complete uniforms of Navy MoH winners, complete with ribbons.

http://rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/53/lid/3184

Doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

jb floyd

Ribbon bars is ribbon bars, and the MoH police have scooped them up in the past.

The world’s vigilantes may well drop a dime on Rock Island Auctions. If the uniforms slide through, it could also signal a decrease in interest in the subject among the enforcement folks. We’ll see.

bigjohn

Ditto to that but I’m sure there will be some do gooder trying to help on the feds.
    John

medalguy
    Participant

I think it just depends on whether anyone brings it to the attention of the powers that be.

dbwbear
    Participant

I find it odd that in the British Commonwealth countries any award including the Victoria Cross can be sold. The only rule is that the seller must not be a member of the active force. I understand why the government was upset and restricted sales, but we are bonafide collectors and are able to prove membership in various societies. The DMV in Illinois was at fault for giving a MOH license plate to a 20-something. They should have required documentation. We should not have to suffer because of stupidity.

John_Allgood
    Keymaster

I find it odd that in the British Commonwealth countries any award including the Victoria Cross can be sold. The only rule is that the seller must not be a member of the active force.

Just to clarify, anyone can sell medals in the Commonwealth countries. A serving soldier may not sell medals that they have been awarded. They can sell other medals at any time and they can sell their own medals after they leave the service.

John

jb floyd

Did the uniforms at Rock Island actually sell?

I see an Ike jacket of Jimmy Doolittle’s is coming up for sale in New England next month as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.