Orders & Medals Society of America Forums Russian and Soviet Medal Collecting Russian Federation Medal "For Participation in the Military Victory Day Parade"

• This topic has 9,144 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Frank Dutil
    Participant

Medal "For Participation in the Military Victory Day Parade"

Instituted by ministerial order 130 of 26 February 2010, a new Defense Ministry medal.

megan

A medal for going on parade?

Whatever next? One for shining one’s boots, perhaps?

Seriously, thanks for the update.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

I must admit I share your view on this one… It completely took me by surprise! Especially after the Defense Minister refused to sign the order instituting a commemorative medal to denote the 50th anniversary of Strategic Rocket Forces… Just doesn’t make much sense…

Frank Dutil
    Participant

U.S. troops being presented the medal in Moscow prior to the 2010 parade.

U.S. troops parading on Red Square wearing their new Russian medal.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

British troops being presented with their medal prior to the 2010 parade.

British troops NOT wearing them on parade in Moscow… Company commander a bit of a stickler for regs?

Frank Dutil
    Participant

The French parading on Red Square (2010) and wearing their new Russian medal.

The French sent the Normandie-Niemen fighter group (awesome choice!! Very historically "à propos"! Google it if necessary). I am quite surprised the British didn’t send a squadron from 151 Wing which flew in Russia in 1941. Even if none of the original squadrons is still active (I don’t really know), their legacy would’ve been passed on to another. It would’ve been most fitting!

ed_haynes
    Participant

A nice post. Many thanks.

The truly bizarre scene of these foreign (ex-allied, ex-enemy) troops marching in Red Square should not be lost. Even in today’s Russia. WOW. WOW indeed! (Did anyone record the THUD of Stalin turning over in his wall?)

Interesting that the US chose to wear these medals (a classy play, though I’d guess they’ll never be allowed to do so again ) while the Brits rejected them (SLAP). Who else was there? The French, as I recall from the parade broadcast? What was their approach to the medals?

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Countries and units present:

-Poland, special parade battalion.
    -France, Normandie-Niemen fighter group (awesome choice!! Google it if necessary)
    -USA, 2nd battalion, 18th inf regiment.
    -UK, Welsch Guards.
    -Kazakhstan.
    -Azerbaïdjan.
    -Ukraine.
    -Arménia.
    -Moldavia.

A Turkmenistani officer paraded on a white stallion "à la Zhukov". Matter of fact, his horse is the great grand son of the stallion Zhukov rode during the 1945 parade! Link to the video on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2w7eDxMxy8&feature=related

Frank Dutil
    Participant

I (finally) found the relevant ministerial order:

Awarded to military and civilian personnel of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation and to foreign troops, military formations and bodies, for active participation in the preparation of personnel, of weapons and of military equipment for the military parade on Victory Day in Moscow, in other Hero cities, as well as in cities where military districts headquarters, fleets headquarters, combined forces headquarters as well as the Caspian Flotilla headquarters are located; for distinction during the military parade in Moscow, in other Hero cities, as well as in cities where military districts headquarters, fleets headquarters, combined forces headquarters as well as the Caspian Flotilla headquarters are located.

auke
    Participant

Nice-looking medal. Reminds me of the Umalatova 55 Years of Victory Medal.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Nice-looking medal. Reminds me of the Umalatova 55 Years of Victory Medal.

I hadn’t thought of that! Definitely variations on a theme!
    [attachment=0]variations.jpg[/attachment]

The keen eye will notice slight differences between the MoD medal at right and the design in the original post. Most notably the positions of St Basil cathedral and the Kremlin tower behind the troops. This is simply due to a different maker than the one who produced the initial batch in 2010.
    variations.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    drain
    Participant

I wonder if the US Troops will get permanent wear of the Medal?

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Darn good question… I doubt it in all honesty.

drain
    Participant

Darn good question… I doubt it in all honesty.

There is a regulation that allows the award of Foreign Service Medals to US Troop provided, the same medal is award by the foreign power to there own troop. Here are few of the examples awarded medals: (Not counting United Nation, Muti-National Force and Nato), Korean War Medal, South Vietnam Campaign Medal, Medal for the Liberation of Kuwait (Saudi Arabia), Medal for the Liberation of Kuwait (5th class)(Kuwait).

Frank Dutil
    Participant

The main difference here is that this medal isn’t really a "service/campaign/efficiency/achievement/merit" award… It merely denotes participation in a very short commemorative event.

Are US servicemen and women allowed to wear such medals on their uniform? Medals such as the Dutch Nijmegen March medal? Such as the Belgian Yser March medal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.