• This topic has 3,763 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    noor
    Participant

Hi,

One more question, if you guys don’t mind, does Madagascar Medal 1895 should be only with the clasp or was it awarded as mine – without? In this case I presume, it is almost impossible to pick up just a clasp alone.

Maker O.Roty / rim ARGENT

What would be current market value of these?

Regards,

Timo
    1731624912b690_o.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jb floyd

None of my sources list criteria for the "1895" clasp, although they agree that the campaign dates started on 8 December 1894.

The original expeditionary force was reinforced by an additional 15,000 combat troops in August 1895. This second landing may have triggered the need for the "1895" bar, although it seems illogical to add a bar for those who came late to the party and none for those who served for the entire time in a killer environment. French combat losses were around 25 killed, but several thousand men died of disease.

felix

The 1895 Madagascar medal always comes with the clasp as the ribbon is the same for the 1886 Madagascar medal.

Be aware that some of these commemoratives medals were still made in the 70’s ! Yours with an "olive" for the ribbon loop is an old one, is there a hallmark ?

Christophe
    Participant

What FX is saying is absolutely correct.

Ch.

noor
    Participant

Thanks guys!

Why they produced these medals still so late??? Just becuase collector’s market and a chance to make some profit (can’t figure out any other reasons).

When I picked this one up, I loved old age silver colour, sharp details, what I have seen only on the old awards and most at all… I just liked it.

I checked again and there is no maker mark on the ring loop. However, there is some kind a small oval mark front of the text ARGENT on the rim.

Ok, what still is in my mind, did I paid too much….. this medal cost me around 70 euro, was it over the market value?

All the best,

Timo

felix

Yes these medals were produced very late mostly for collectors, 2nd Empire medals were still produced in the 20’s for collectors and the few still living veterans.

The small oval is a corn of abundance, hallmark of the Paris Mint, ARGENT means silver. Paris Mint medals are marked directly on the medal, not on the loop.

I don’t know the market value of this medal, but 70€ seems a good price to me, the only problem is the missing clasp.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Think twice before buying the medal without a clasp Noor. I did 4 years ago and was only able to find a clasp a few months ago through a French collector buddy, it took him over a year with all of his contacts to find me one.

noor
    Participant

FX – there isn’t any maker marks stamped… is it should be on the reverse or obverse?

FDutil – my home work was poor before I got it – I just tought that the price is good and I go for that. Also I was sure that the medal should be period one but tought that the clasp is something what is just on some of them.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Let me know if you’d like me to ask my friend if he can find another… And if so, what is your price range.

felix

FX – there isn’t any maker marks stamped… is it should be on the reverse or obverse?

The maker mark is the small ovale (corn of abundance) near the word "ARGENT", mark of the Paris Mint.

Christophe
    Participant

Hi Timo,

I have asked the FIM French Forum for the clasp. it really seems very hard to find without the medal… No one has a spare one, and the only clue is to ask the French Mint, but I doubt they sell it without the medal (if even they still sell the medal…).

Cheers.

Ch.

noor
    Participant

Thank you for checking anyway!

I really appreciate it!

Timo

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Don’t give up just yet, I have a buddy looking also in France.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.