Orders & Medals Society of America Forums French Medal Collecting French Medals post-1870 Liberated France Medal / Médaille de la France Libérée

• This topic has 1,901 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings,

This is my first post here. I have a question about a couple of French awards from WWII. My grandfather served in the 78th Division in Europe during the war and I’m trying to determine if he was awarded the either the Médaille de la France libérée or the Croix de guerre. Are there any lists of people that were entitled to these awards? Any help is greatly appreciated. My e-mail is dboven02@yahoo.com if anyone wants to contact me there. Thanks so much.

–dave–

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Lists? Not really… Do you have this award (or ribbon to it) and are looking for a positive ID?

This we can do if you post a picture.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your reply. I suppose what I’d most like are the requirements for being awarded these medals. My grandfather never talked much about his service in Europe before he died a few years ago. I’m curious if these awards were given fairly regularly to American service members and if he would have likely received them. The only documentation I have of my grandfather’s service is his discharge and separation papers and a photograph of him (the only ribbon he is wearing in the photo is the Army Good Conduct Ribbon). So, does anyone know what one needed to do to warrant the award of these French medals? Thanks a lot.

–dave–

Frank Dutil
    Participant

The Croix de Guerre is an award for bravery/valor. He would’ve already have been awarded it had he earned one.

The Médaille de la Frane Libérée on the other hand has quite the large award prerequisites:

"décernée aux militaires des armées alliées, ayant participé à des opérations de guerre sur terre, sur mer et dans les airs, sur les territoires métropolitains et de l’Union française ou les territoires sous mandat du 3 septembre 1939 au 20 août 1945"

Which means:

"awarded to military members of allied armies, that participated in war time operations whether on land, at sea or in the air, on the metropolitan territories and of the French Union or on territories under mandate from 3 September 1939 to 20 August 1945"

The way I read this, any WW2 vet who served in France can get it.
    france%20liberee.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Great! Thanks for that. Since the Croix de Guerre is a valor award, presumably the French would have recorded who was awarded it. Does the French military keep a record of this? For the Médaille de la France libérée, is that from an official French source? Can veterans that did warrant this award (or their next of kin) request replacement medals? Where would something like that be done? Thanks again for your help!

–dave–

felix

Sorry if I don’t have good news.

War crosses are not recorded, but if he received it, it must be listed in his military record. If not listed on his discharge paper, he certainly not received it.

The "médaille de la France libérée" is a rare award that was awarded only after decision of a commission. Military service during WWII is not enough to receive it, you had to do something notable to deserve it. It’s not a common award, only a few people received it (13 469). So if your grandfather didn’t asked for it, there is no chance that he received it. This medal is no longer awarded since 1957.

In France, there is no replacement award as medals are a personal purchase.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a lot! It’s nice to know that I don’t have to do anymore research on the matter.

–dave–

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.