Orders & Medals Society of America Forums American Medal Collecting State, Municipal, and Society Medals Iowa Mexican Border Service for medical personnel

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1,239 voices, and was last updated by  jb floyd 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jb floyd

Here’s an unusual piece, which I’d never seen before acquiring it.

It’s silver-gilt and enamel; marked "BB&B/Sterling" on the back of the top bar. Iowa sent about 7000 men to the Mexican Border, including an ambulance company and a field hospital. In the absence of any other information, I’ll assume that the medical units’ personnel were the recipients of this medal.[attachment=1]img349.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]img350.jpg[/attachment]
    img349.jpg
    img350.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

fred j borgmann
    Participant

I wonder if this could be an Iowa Red Cross award.

jb floyd

That’s certainly a possibility, but I would not expect the Red Cross to use a "State of Iowa" top bar and no reference to the Red Cross other than the center of the pendant. Somebody spent a fair amount of money to have BB&B strike these. While that was not beyond the capability of the Red Cross, it just seems more likely that it was a governmental agency. Of course, we won’t know until we can find some documentary evidence on the badge.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.