• This topic has 2,993 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rstrotjost
    Participant

Hello,
    Can anyone identify this breast star? The scalloped designs in the cross arms and the fleur de lis in between, resemble a few of the Italian States stars that I have seen. But, the center which appears to be a Madonna and Child, I have not found any where. Belgium jeweler maker is "G.Wolfers" in Brussels. Thank you, Rick Strotjost, OMSA #6669[attachment=0]DSC05269_edited-1.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]DSC05267_edited-1.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]DSC05268_edited-1.JPG[/attachment]
    DSC05268_edited-1.JPG
    DSC05267_edited-1.JPG
    DSC05269_edited-1.JPG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    rstrotjost
    Participant

Any theories, opinions, or SWAGs? Still have had no luck identifying this star. Thank you, Rick

Frank Dutil
    Participant

The plaque itself is from an old royal order from France, either St-Louis or St-Esprit. The center though makes no sense… It’s as if somebody took a partial or damaged part of an order and just slapped a new central medallion on it.

https://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4371

https://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4374

rstrotjost
    Participant

Thank you Frank, I am sorry I did not see your reply sooner, to respond. Best regards, Richard

rstrotjost
    Participant

I forgot to mention in the post, that it is in it’s original case of issue, with makers name in the inside of the lid. The center medallion is fitted to the center of the plaque perfectly and has the same patina as the rest of the piece. Doesn’t look like a hap hazard replacement.
    IMG_8469_edited-1.JPG
    IMG_8471_edited-1.JPG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Frank Dutil
    Participant

A French colleague suggests this is possibly the Order of Notre Dame du Mont Carmel, a pre-1789 French order. I can’t find anything to support that but it might prove a good starting point.

Cheers!

rstrotjost
    Participant

Thank you Frank, I appreciate your help! Best regards, Richard

fred j borgmann
    Participant

To me the key here is that the Madonna is holding a sword instead of the usual scepter. My guess would be that this is a privately made religious ephemeral order.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.