• This topic has 3,115 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jb floyd

We’ve received the following question. Can anyone address this?

I’m trying to determine the reason these medals were awarded and, in
    particular, what the pictured grain itself represents. I’ve sen postings
    sayin they were for civic merit, although I’m not sure what that means, and I
    have yet to see any explanation for the grain design. Can anyone help me?

usmcgungho

ORDER OF THE GOLDEN GRAIN

This order, also known as ‘The Order of the Excellent Crop’, ‘The Order of the Splendid Harvest’, and ‘The Order of the Bountiful Harvest’, indicates the importance the government placed on the newly established Republic’s ability to meet the demands of an Agrarian nation to feed its vast population in the face of years of terrible draughts and devastating floods. A good harvest was always an indication of prosperity and civil tranquility during tumultuous times. The award’s centerpiece is a stalk of wheat during various stages of growth.
    This Order of the Golden Grain (Chia ho) was instituted on 29 July 1912 by President Yuan Shi- kai for outstanding civil or military achievement. It was conferred in nine classes. The First and Second Classes were distinguished by the badge of the order suspended from a yellow sash with white edges plus a breast star. The width of the Second Class sash is narrower and the breast star is smaller in diameter than the First Class sash and breast star. In 1916, a special Second Class was instituted that omitted the sash and sash badge. The Third Class was identified by the badge of the order suspended from a red neck ribbon with white edges. The Fourth through Ninth Class insignia consisted of the badge of the order suspended from different colored breast ribbons as follows: Fourth Class, red with white edges and adorned with a rosette. Fifth Class, red with white edges. Sixth and Seventh Classes, blue with red edges. Eighth Class, white with red edges. Ninth Class, black with white edges.
    The badge of the order is a star of eight groups of ascending rays in white enamel with a large circular medallion in the center. Each group of rays has three rays edged in silver and each ray has a silver center line. The medallion contains five standing sheaves of grain in green and yellow enamel on a white enamel background. Surrounding the medallion is a narrow turquoise band edged in gilt with small red, yellow, blue, white, and black dots. These are the colors of the flag of the Chinese Republic, which consisted of five horizontal stripes of red, yellow, blue, white, and black. In the center of the reverse of the badge is a circular medallion of the same size as the medallion on the obverse. The reverse medallion contains four Chinese characters in gilt on a red enamel background that translate as “Order of the Golden Grain.” The breast star is the badge of the order superimposed over a large star of eight groups of ascending rays in faceted silver. The reverse is plain with a hinged vertical pin flanked by a vertical hook pin. Stamped in a square in the center is "“Made by Silver Bureau” in Chinese Characters. The sash, neck, and breast badges are suspended from a device of two adjoining silver cloud symbols. This order was abolished by the Nationalist Government in 1929 and replaced by the Order of the Brilliant Jade.

Richard La Tondre

P.S. This will be my last posting on this website as I find it far too time consuming to log in and change my password each time I need to log in. I may be reached at USMCGungHo@aol.com or at the GMIC website.

ming

cecawthorne

Hello Richard,

I am sorry to hear that this will be your last post. I know that one of our Project Team members has been diligently working with you on your "issues". Regarding changing your password, I understood that your original password problem was you re-entered your password incorrectly too many times and that tripped our security measures. We helped you with that and when we log in as you using your new password, we do not have any issues. Regarding having to enter your user name and password each time you use the site, this is typical if you close the application or turn your computer off and is routine for sites and applications for security reasons. , there are things you can do to avoid having to type in your name and password multiple times. My lastest version Google browser has tabs that I can keep the OMSA website open all day and al week as long as I do not close Google or turn off my laptop. I do keep my laptop on all the time so I can access the website 24/7 without logging out or having to log back in. While it might be too late for this to matter to you, my suggestion is to get some local help (my son is my technical support) if you have difficulty setting this up, but it is pretty easy. Once again, sorry to hear you will not be posting anymore.

Best Regards,
    Chris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.