Orders & Medals Society of America Forums American Medal Collecting Federal Medals Gold Star Pilgrimage to the Battfiels of the World War

• This topic has 1,583 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bigjohn

Hi All,
    I have two different type of commemorative medal for those mothers and widows of service men who died in WWI and made a government sponsored pilgrimage in 1930 to the battlefields fields of France and are numbered. The first one is a round plachet and the The Obverse has a gold star at the tip with a ship between the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower Gold and a 1930 below the waves supporting the ship. The Reverse "Gold Star Pilgrimage To The Battlefields Of The World War" ; the rim engraving: BRONZE m 3845. It was suspended on a Red, Whit and Blue Ribbon that could be worn around the neck of the recipient
    The second has and Obverse US Eagle Crest between to US Flags below them is a wreath 3/4 around a Circle encompassing a star; the inscription in the circle "Pilgrimage of Mothers and Widows"; the Reverse has "B.B.CO copy right symbol in the center and at the bottom "3923". The medal has a Blue, White Ribbon (L to R) suspended on a gold colored hinge pin.
    My question are does there exist a list for the two medals and can any one of this forum provide names of the person(s) who owned these medal and the name of the War Dead they were related to. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.
    Regards,
    John

3mxd
    Participant

No, there is no roll which can attribute the United States Lines medal (ship/star/1930) or the federal pilgrimage identification badge. The latter originally had a broach which would have had the name/state of the recipient, but evidently that is now missing. Also missing is the War Department identification booklet whose serial number would have corresponded with the serial number on the latter. The USL medal also was issued with a certificate which was made up on board and would have contained the name and serial number of the medal for a pilgrim in 1930 and 1931 but that, too, missing. So the recipient is anonymous. Based on the serial numbers, you can assume that the two belonged to the same woman.

bigjohn

3mxd
    My belated thank you for your information; I had hope there would be a different answer but figured that a list does not exist or someone threw it away or it is in come government cubby hole.
    Regards,
    John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.