Orders & Medals Society of America Forums Other Medal Related Topics Medals Wanted EARLY VICTORIAN ENGLISH ALBERT MEDAL WANTED

• This topic has 2,656 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sam steele
    Participant

[attachment=0]Mottram AM cased.jpg[/attachment]Hello Gents,

I’m on the lookout for an early Victorian-era British Albert Medal, with the Phillips cartouche on the reverse, and number on the tail of the scroll.

Cheers,

Bill
    Mottram AM cased.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    sirius
    Keymaster

One in the next Spink sale (lot 3).

https://www.spink.com/auction.aspx?id=14002

Cheers, -Peter

sam steele
    Participant

Thanks Peter, for your note.

I had noticed that AM. It seems to have everything that appeals to me, except for the detail of: 20% commission, 3% for using a credit card, 3% for using "the-saleroom", another 1% for insurance, plus shipping. On top of that, the Brit pound is about $1.83 Canadian, and our Canada Customs wants 13% as well.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of auction houses!

At best, I could find a fellow collector who wishes to trade or sell privately, or I could find a reputable dealer who would sell or trade. I know of one dealer, but alas, he did a trade with a fellow collector prior to my quest.

The temptation is there with Spink, but the Scottish in me is holding me back.

Decisions……….decisions…………..

Cheers,

Bill

sirius
    Keymaster

Hi Bill,
    You do not have to use "The Salesroom". Spink has online-bidding available at no charge. Also as a Canadian you do not have to pay British VAT. No way around the commission I’m afraid, but you could probably wire the money for about US$30-40, cheaper than using a credit card. Just a thought. Good luck with it.

Cheers, -Peter

sam steele
    Participant

Hi Peter,

You’re right about the phone bid. I actually do use that service.

As for payment by wire, a 30 to 40 pound wire charge sure beats a 250 pound credit card charge! I’ve only wired money once, and it was a bit of a pain at my end (no pun intended :roll: ), but your advice shows how people will pay for convenience, too.

The auction is two weeks away. Time to consider a bid, or not.

Thanks again, Peter.

Cheers,

Bill

sam steele
    Participant

Sorry…………..I actually meant "phone bid", and not Spink’s own "online bid". Both are available for free.

Yawn………..Gotta be up for 5 in the morning for bidding, though. I feel sorry for someone living on the west coast, wanting to bid!

Cheers again,

Bill

sam steele
    Participant

Hello Gents,

Still patiently awaiting an early Victorian Albert Medal for Sea, please.

Cheers,

Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.