Orders & Medals Society of America Forums General Chat Early OMSA membership medals?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KevinBeyer
    Participant

Hello,

This is a message for OMSA old timers!  Can anyone help me find information, written or anecdotal, about the early OMSA membership medals?  When were they first available?  How did you get them?  The earliest advertisement for purchasing membership medals in The Medal Collector was in 1983.  But, there are OMSA convention date bars going all the way back to the first convention in 1960. That suggests that membership badges were available very early on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin, OMSA #7096

jb floyd

I joined around 1964 and I think I got mine from the Secretary, Jim Wilkinson, at about that time.  It only got used when I went to my first convention in 1972. It now has 45 convention bars attached.  I believe my medal is the first type, with the lapel device screwed through the center of the pendant.

You might check with the OMSA Treasurer, Tim Bartholow, who has compiled reams of info on OMSA awards and may have some material on the membership medal as well.

KevinBeyer
    Participant

Jeff,

Did the 1972 convention date bar come with the convention materials you received when you checked in?  The date bars go back all the way to the first convention in 1960.  That suggests that the membership medal was available as early as then.  But, I don’t know that for a fact.

The quest for information continues!

Kevin

britanis
    Participant

<p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-family: Georgia, serif;”>Jeff, as usual, is right—I really do not remember when bars first appeared as enclosures in registration packets – maybe in the late ‘70’s?  I am fairly sure that 1960’s date bars were retroactively struck, likely in the 1970’s.  Someone, maybe Tim Bartholow?, exhibited a series of various issue OMSA membership and honor medals, associated badges & convention year bars at a convention recently.   Tim probably knows everything on the subject.</span></p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-family: Georgia, serif;”>Years ago, before date bars for membership medals and possibly earlier the medals themselves appeared, OMSA convention goers sometimes received various types of dated & OMSA branded commemorative hand-outs in their registration table information packets.  These included pinback ribbons and later non-wearable aluminum coin type mementos.  I have a couple somewhere & will post images when I find them.  </span></p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-family: Georgia, serif;”>Outside the scope of your query, OMSA branded convention related registration handouts included caps, collared short-sleeve shirts & name tag lanyards at least.   </span></p>

KevinBeyer
    Participant

Thank you for the added info.   I was aware of Mr. Bartholow’s exhibit, but have not contacted him directly.  Unfortunately, I have been out of action since late last year.  So, all of my writing endeavors have been sidelined.  I hope to get back to researching soon.

Kevin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.