Orders & Medals Society of America Forums American Medal Collecting daughter of veterans of the civil war

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jack mooers
    Participant

Does anyone else collect medals and badges from the female post civil war aid societies? I have a few questions to ask about the structure of these groups.

Jack Mooers

KevinBeyer
    Participant

I used to collect the G.A.R. Allied Organization reunion badges.  The Sons of Union Veterans has a ton of variations on their membership badges.  The Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans went through some name changes, too.  What are your questions?

jack mooers
    Participant

I have about 30 examples that are Daughter of Union Veterans of the Civil War that have positions in the organization, such as S.V.President, Press, Guard, Council, some have a blue clothe backing with a U.S. flag on it, others have no backing but the same titles. The photo shows them.

jack mooers
    Participant

first attempt at photo failed, I’ll try again

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    KevinBeyer
    Participant

Mr. Mooers, what is your question?

jack mooers
    Participant

What is the difference with medals/badges that have a blue cloth backing with a U.S. flag as opposed to similar badges that have no flag or backing cloth?  Was it National level of organization VS local chapters? How many different titles were there in the organization?

Attachments:
    KevinBeyer
    Participant

The organization in question went through several name changes throughout its history.  They were originally called the “Daughters of Veterans” and used the intertwined letters D and V for their logo.  At a later date they changed their name to the “Daughters of Union Veterans”.  They changed their logo to an intertwined DU and V.  If I an not mistaken, at a later date the name was changed to the “Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865” (DUVCW).

You will see that some pendants have DV (older) and some have DUV (“newer”).  If you look at the reverse of the DV badges, you will see that there is a bar underneath the pin which was meant to hold a ribbon.  The ribbons for these badges would be solid blue, solid red, or solid yellow.  These colors represent local, department, and national level membership.

With the newer badges, the ribbons were changed to bear the American flag, but were bordered with blue, red, or yellow just the same.  Basically, all of the badges originally came with ribbons.

As for the total number of officers, I do not know.  The best resource for this information would be to find copies of the DV and DUV Constitution and By-Laws.  You could also reach out to the DUVCW National Historian (Historian@duvcw.org).  Going straight to the horses mouth might get you the answers you seek.

Attachments:
    jack mooers
    Participant

Thanks Kevin , I appreciate the help.

Jack Mooers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.