Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ron Merchant
    Participant

What year did each of the U.S. Military branches change from the 1 3/8″ x 1/2″ ribbons to the current standard 1 3/8″ x 3/8″ size?

Thanks for the help.

John Strandberg
    Participant

The Army never used the 1/2″ ribbon size. I can’t say with absolute certainty, but I believe the Navy/USMC adopted the 3/8″ size in 1952.

Ron Merchant
    Participant

John–Thanks for the reply. Concerning the change in size for the Navy and USMC, I found the following statement in a book by James G. Thompson: “Before the Korean War, Navy and Marine ribbons were 1/2 inch high  and 1 1/3 inch long. After Korea, all Armed Forces ribbons became 3/8 inch high and 1 3/8 inch long”  This statement is a little confusing. It is not clear if the Navy and USMC continued to use the 1/2″ ribbons through the Korean War or did they change to the 3/8″ size at the beginning of the war. Do you (or anybody else) have the Navy manuals for this period to confirm the actual date of change?

Concerning the size off Army ribbons, I have 21 ribbons which are 1/2″ high. Most are “Viking Kwikset” brand. About half are for obsolete medals for pre-1900 campaigns, but not all. Part of my confusion comes because I have ribbons for campaigns such as “Army of Cuban Pacification” There is also a medal for the Navy. However, upon further research, while the medallions for both medals are different, the ribbons are the same.  So, what I thought were Army 1/2″ ribbons are actually Navy ribbons. But, I do not ANY 3/8″ ribbons for any of the pre-1900 campaigns.

So, in the end, what is really needed to sort this out is information from the earlier (pre-1950) Regulations that define the size of authorized ribbons. For that manner, when were “Ribbon Bars” first authorized to go with the “Medals”?

Ron Merchant
    Participant

John–I did some more digging on the date of change in size of the Navy (and USMC) ribbons. In a book “Ribbons of Orders, Decorations and Medals” by Guido Rosignoli, he states that the date of the regulation to change from the 1/2″ ribbons to the 3/8″ size was 30 April 1948. Wear of either size was optional until October 1951, after which the 3/8″ ribbons were mandatory.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.