• This topic has 2,293 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bauceant

As a result of my on-going research into modern and ancient Orders of Chivalry, I have fallen in love with a style jewelry reputedly made popular by the eminent fashion doyenne and designer Diana Vreeland. Originally marketed by such popular jewelry houses as CORO, ART and ACCESSOCRAFT; in the 1940’s and 1950’s these pieces were an hommage to the great military and chivalric orders of the world. These exquisite examples of the jewelers art deserve to be celebrated and remembered; not only for their place in fashion history, but as a visual reminder that chivalry has never "gone out of style" (and it never will).

In order to help people better identify these pieces when they encounter them, I have been asked to post examples of some of the more common "Heraldic Line" items in this forum. I hope you will enjoy them as much as I enjoy collecting them.
    1929_41796549094_8046_n.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    bauceant

Image 1: Orden de Isabel la Católica (Order of Isabella the Catholic) ~ Spanish

Motto: "A la lealtad acricola" (To Loyalty)
    Creator: 14 March 1815 by King Ferdinand VII

Maker: CORO (Heraldic Line)

Note: This version of the Order is considered the "flagship" of the line. As you can see from the advertisement, three pieces came in this initial offering. In this parure (set) the manufacturer included earrings, brooch and a necklace. The back of the medal is unadorned except for the word CORO written in cursive writing.

As with many of the CORO Heraldic Line offerings, there were other variants of the medal produced. Image 2 is one such variant.
    20275_248311734094_6820639_n.jpg
    1929_41802139094_6605_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

Ordine della Corona d’Italia (Order of the Crown of Italy) ~ Italy

Motto: Unknown
    Created: 20 Feb 1868, by King Victor Emmnuel

The CORO Heraldic line interpretation of this order comes in the two color variants shown below. This parure (set) also includes a brooch, necklace and earrings. (in later years, a version of less quality also included a charm bracelet). The back of the brooch is unadorned (except for the manufacturer’s logo which says "CORO" in cursive script).

I just recently discovered a second iteration of this Order. As more information becomes available on it, I will post it here.
    $_57.jpg
    25927_353847139094_7687_n.jpg
    33741_443534519094_2514087_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

Ordre Royale de l’Etoile d’Anjouan (Order of the Star of Anjouan) ~ Comoro (French/Colonial)

Motto: (Unknown)
    Created: 1874 by Sultan Mohammed Said Omer

Maker: CORO

This CORO Heraldic Line item is considered by collectors to be "rare" to "very rare." In this parure (set), I have seen a brooch, earrings and necklace. By report there was also a charm bracelet manufactured, but if this design is considered rare, then the bracelet should be considered even more so. Like the other offerings in the Heraldic line, the back of the individual pieces are unadorned (except for the manufacturer’s logo which says "CORO" in cursive script).
    648_41815834094_905_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

Avvocati di San Pietro (Order of the Advocates of St. Peter) ~ Vatican (Tentative)

Motto:
    Created: 5 July 1878 by Leo XIII

Maker: CORO or ACCESSOCRAFT (Heraldic Line)

This CORO Heraldic Line item is considered by collectors to be "very rare." (Certainly, in all the years I have been collecting I have only seen this one example). Like the other offerings in this line, the back of this brooch is unadorned (except for the manufacturer’s logo which says "CORO" in cursive script).
    648_41815844094_1305_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

Order Orla Bialego (Order of the Whte Eagle) ~ Poland

Motto: ZA : OJCZY : ZNE : I / NARÓD (for Country and Nation)

Created: 1709 by Augustus II ("The Strong")

This CORO Heraldic Line item comes in several color variants; in all versions, however, the eagle is white and it is the color of the Maltese cross which changes. All of the examples I have of this Order are pendants, if there are other items in the parure (set), I have yet to encounter them. As with the other offerings in this line, the back of this pendant is unadorned (except for the manufacturer’s logo which says "CORO" in cursive script).
    18155_298722249094_4587518_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

Shefkat Nishani (Order of Charity/Tenderness Order) ~ Ottoman

Motto: "Humanity, Assistance, Patriotism"
    Created: 1878 by Sultan Abdulhamid II

Maker ~ CORO (Heraldic Line)

This CORO Heraldic Line item is becoming increasingly rare. In this parure (set), I have seen a brooch, earrings and necklace. As with the other offerings in the Heraldic line, the back of the individual pieces are unadorned (except for the manufacturer’s logo which says "CORO" in cursive script).
    33872_443993019094_7505770_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

Ordinul Coroana Romaniei (Order of the Crown of Romania) ~ Romania

Motto: "Prin Noi Insine" (By Ourselves Alone)
    Created: 14 March 1881 by King Carol I

This CORO Heraldic Line item was once very popular (so many examples exists). In this parure (set), I have seen a brooch, earrings, charm bracelet and necklace. As with the other offerings in the Heraldic line, the back of the individual pieces are unadorned (except for the manufacturer’s logo which says "CORO" in cursive script).
    1929_41801514094_7372_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

Ordre National de la Légion d’Honneur (Legion of Honor) ~ France

Motto: "Honneur et Patrie" (Honor and Fatherland)Created: 19, May 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte

This CORO Heraldic Line item is considered by collectors to be "very rare." Unlike the other offerings in this line, the back of this brooch has a screw which allows the cameo in the front to be removed or replaced. Another unique feature of this piece is that it has a bezel in the back which allows it to be worn as either a pin or a necklace. The name "CORO" is embossed on the screw.
    1929_41801509094_7160_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

Ordem de Nossa Senhora da Conceiçâo de Vila Viçosa (The Order of the Immaculate Conception of Vila Vicosa) ~ Portugal

Motto: "Padroeira do Reino" (Patroness of the Kingdom)
    Created: 6 February 1818 by King John VI

This CORO Heraldic Line item is considered by collectors to be "rare" to "very rare." In this parure (set), I have seen a brooch and earrings. By report there was also a necklace manufactured, but I have yet to see an example of one. As with the other offerings in the Heraldic Line, the back of the individual pieces are unadorned (except for the manufacturer’s logo which says "CORO" in cursive script).
    1929_41796544094_7871_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

Pour Le Merite (‘Blue Max) ~ Prussia

Motto: "Pour le Merite" (For Merit)
    Created: 9 June 1740 by King Frederick II

This CORO Heraldic Line item was once very popular (so many examples exists). I have only ever seen it as a necklace, so I do not know what might have been available in the parure (set). I do know, however, that as a necklace it was available in two colors: the light blue (as below) as well as a darker blue. As with the other offerings in the Heraldic line, the back of the necklace is unadorned (except for the manufacturer’s logo which says "CORO" in cursive script).
    1929_41803234094_2653_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

Ordre Royal du Cambodge, Officier (Royal Order of Cambodia, officer) ~ France

Motto: Unknown
    Created: 8 February, 1864 by Norodom Silamoni

Maker: CORO (Pegasus)
    259866_10150220645214095_663904094_7055641_5284720_n.jpg

Attachments:
    bauceant

200th Anniversary Medallion Commemorating the Siege of Wiens
    (Includes he portraits of Emperor Leopold I, Charles V of Lorraine, Andreas von Liebenberg, Count Starhemberg and King John III Sobieski)

Motto: "Magnus Civitas, Magnus Solitudo” (“A Great City is a Great Wilderness”) 12 September 1883.

Maker: CORO (Heraldic)

This CORO Heraldic Line item was once very popular (so many examples exists). In this parure (set) there is a brooch, earrings, and necklace. As with the other offerings in the Heraldic line, the back of the individual pieces are unadorned (except for the manufacturer’s logo which says "CORO" in cursive script).
    1017488_10151725153664095_1273508912_n.jpg

Attachments:
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.