Orders & Medals Society of America Forums French Medal Collecting French Medals post-1870 Colonial Medal and Overseas Medal / Médaille Coloniale

• This topic has 6,645 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    noor
    Participant

Thanks Frank!

Oh no, post WW2 :( not for my collection in this case – looked older or now I know – weared.

If any of you wants it, please pm to me.

Where I have to check maker mark? Nothing on the reverse.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A good price for a nice medal. There were only a couple of clasps authorised for the Médaille Coloniale after WW2: Extreme Orient and Madagascar. Some recipients of the Extreme Orient clasp received it for wartime service in Indo-China (Vietnam) during the Japanese occupation and for the brief period fighting between Japanese and French forces at the very end. Others received it for the "1st Indo-Chinese War" of 1945-1948. So it can be included as a WW2 award. Here’s one awarded for wartime service. The document was issued in Saigon in 1946.
    Fr_MColoniale_Saigon.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

And here is another one, awarded for postwar service to a Para.
    soupize%20photos01a.jpg

Attachments:
    noor
    Participant

Thanks DCanard! Brilliant information.

I really like look of this award. Thats why I picked it up as well knowing nothing about it! I was just sure that every kind a commemorative medal, etc can’t be made out of silver and some how it is looks like serious award!

At least I didn’t "burn" myself money side but bitty its not from WW1 or earlier period, what is my main interest

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Thanks Frank!

Oh no, post WW2 :( not for my collection in this case – looked older or now I know – weared.

If any of you wants it, please pm to me.

Where I have to check maker mark? Nothing on the reverse.

Noor, most of them were issued in 1946 for WW2 service. So if war medals are what you’re interested in, don’t let it go…

felix

Hi all,

Here is my today’s catch – French Colonial Medal (Médaille Coloniale) with "Extreme Orient" clasp. Looks like silver made and pretty old details for me.
    Because I don’t know almost nothing about this area, I would like to know few things about that. First at all period, when it was awarded? What colonia – Siam? Vietnam, etc? Also French medal are usually maker marked, where I have to look -I don’t see any marks in regular places.

I paid 25 euro for that, did I paid too much or almost fair price – Dubln prices are usually way over the top (I really like look of that, so, I didn’t mind and dealer wasn’t sure as well, so I just went for that….)

According to the Binet’s book, this is a Chobillon made (private maker), they are not marked.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jean Hass also shows it as a Chobillion striking. The clasp was probably locally made, given the orthographic errors. I have an example with a clasp by Mourgeon but I do not think I have ever seen an EXTRÊME-ORIENT clasp by the Monnaie de Paris. I presume the MdP made them.

As an aside, there was a popular tendency amongst collectors to refer to these small-type Colonial Medals as "Free French issues". However, the slight reduction in size may have had something to do with wartime shortages and rationing. The État Français issues I have seen are also around 2.5 cm in diameter.

felix

The clasp is a Chobillon too as described in the book. No accents on the capitals letters is a common mistake in french.

Anonymous
    Inactive

De la part des français dans la rue, peut-être, mais deux erreurs dans le cas d’un seul agrafe, faits par une maison, quand même, de qualité? J’aimerais bien voir les preuves, pourtant, que cet agrafe soit par Chobillon. Je vais obtenir ce nouveau bouquin, certes, mais savez-vous comment l’auteur a pu établir l’identité du fabriquant?

Le Canard

felix

Le manque d’accents et de trait d’union et très courant, les agrafes de chez Arthus-Bertrand n’ont pas non plus d’accents. Apparemment les agrafes sont (toujours ?) poinçonnées. Si vous regardez la médaille elle-même, il n’y a pas d’accent sur République…

ed_haynes
    Participant

The last time I checked, this was an English-language forum. If we discuss in other languages, we’ll cut out large portions of the membership.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You are absolutely right. Here is a J R Gaunt medal with clasps by Arthus Bertrand. Hé, je dois dois une mousse, mec!
    post-281-127178773004.jpg

Attachments:
    Frank Dutil
    Participant

Gorgeous!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello NOOR
    I am new on this forum ,and i have seen that you have the french medaille coloniale .Have you always ?I find for to make a document for my father was dead around 20years ago
    Best regards Gerard
    i have forget ,i am french and i live from Reunion island

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.