Orders & Medals Society of America Forums French Medal Collecting French Medals post-1870 Colonial Medal and Overseas Medal / Médaille Coloniale

• This topic has 6,645 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    ed_haynes
    Participant

One of my French favorites, I’ll post some, others PLEASE join in.

There is a very good book out there (someone jog my memory?), but hard to find, very expensive, and surpassing my linguistic skills.

I sometimes get the feeling that there are almost as many unofficial clasps are there are official ones?

ed_haynes
    Participant

Awarded primarily for actions against Abd-el-Krim, which culminated in his surrender on 23 May 1926.

The official legend for the clasp includes the full dates (1925-1926), but clasps with abbreviated dates (1925-26) are also encounterd.

The clasp was authorized by ??? of 30 December 1926.
    FR-MC-Maroc25-26.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ed_haynes
    Participant

Awarded mainly for garrison and police duties in Morocco, 1843-47, 1907-9, 1910-37.
    FR-MC-Marocx.jpg
    FR-MC-Maroc.jpg

Attachments:
    ed_haynes
    Participant

Awarded for service in Tunisia, 1881, 1915-18, 1942-43:

— Awarded for service in Tunisia, 30 March-10 December 1881, for service in southern Tunisia, 30 March 1881-15 February 1883, and for naval service off the Tunisian coast, 4 April-10 December 1881.

— Awarded for service in Tunisia, 1 September 1915 to 31 December 1918.

— Awarded by the Free French Government for actions in Tunisia as a part of the British First and Eighth Armies.
    FR-MC-Tun.jpg

Attachments:
    ed_haynes
    Participant

This medal and gilt clasp was awarded for French participation in operations in Saudi Arabia (what the USA called “Desert Shield”), preliminary to Gulf War II.

Unofficial clasp?
    FR-MOM-AS.jpg

Attachments:
    ed_haynes
    Participant

This medal and gilt clasp was awarded for French participation from 2 August 1990 to ??? in operations Artimon, Salamandre, Busiris, Daguet, Southern Breeze, Méteil, Phère, Libage, Ramure, Merrain, Monuik, Aconnit, and Alysse in the Second Gulf War. A good bit of the French naval service in the war was rendered in close cooperation with Belgian and Dutch fleets. French troops were also awarded the Saudi Arabian and Kuwaiti campaign medals, which were approved for general wear.

The bar was authorized by Decision No. 36928/DEF/CC/DECO of 20 December 1990 and amended by Instruction No. 660/DEF/CC/DECO of 16 January 1991.
    FR-MOM-MO.jpg

Attachments:
    ed_haynes
    Participant

The gilt clasp was awarded for French participation in UNIFIL in Lebanon, 22 March 1978–.

The clasp was authorized by Decision No. 205844/DEF/CC/DECO of 14 December 1979 and Instruction No. 53400/DEF/CC/DECO of 14 December 1979.
    FR-MOM-Liban.jpg

Attachments:
    Frank Dutil
    Participant

Here’s my Médaille Coloniale with "SÉNÉGAL ET SOUDAN" and "SAHARA" clasps, and my Médaille d’Oure-Mer with "TCHAD" and "LIBAN" clasps.

I must admit at not having researched the clasps…
    MDAILL~2.JPG
    MDAILL~1.JPG

Attachments:
    ed_haynes
    Participant

New book, "soon":

Patrick Binet, La Médaille coloniale; Guide du collectionneur

See: http://editions.pb-co.fr/coloniale/coloniale.html

Christophe
    Participant

Thanks Ed,

Patrick Binet is a member of the french Forum FIM (Forum Insignes & Médailles).

The book seems very promising. I have ordered it.
    It will be delivered beginning of July.

Cheers.

Ch
    couv_111.jpg

Attachments:
    Christophe
    Participant

I have received my book from Patrick Binet.
    It is signed by the author and is numbered (SN 36).

Is is excellent in terms of content and very nice in terms of lay out !!! Really superb !! :D

Inside are descibed not only the medals, but bars, miniatures, and maker marks !!

Buy it before it becomes rare and unfindable !!

Cheers.

Ch.

ed_haynes
    Participant

Binet’s book arrived today (#54) and it is absolutely LOVELY. Even with my long-forgotten one semester of high school French (long since shoved aside by a long list of other langauges), I can get a lot out of it. Do not be scared away by language issues!

:D :D :D

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good thread. Of course, the other book to have is the one by Jean Hass, which was sold through l’Institution des Invalides de la Légion Étrangère – 13114 PUYLOUBIER and is hard to find now. When copies do crop up, expect to pay a minimum of €150.00 or its USD equivalent but do not begrudge paying it if you intend to collect these medals seriously.

Here are some WW2-related Médailles Coloniales with clasps struck and awarded to soldiers of La France libre or La France combattante. The ‘Koufra’ clasp is of London fabrication as is the medal, struck by J R Gaunt, and is very, very rare. So is the ‘Bir Hacheim 1942’ clasp on the lower lefthand of the scan, which is also believed to be British-made. The other example, on the J R Gaunt medal on the top righthand of the scan, is an Arthus Bertrand striking dating, like its three siblings, from 1944, just after the Liberation of Paris.

Vichy also authorised some clasps and versions of the medal exist with the legend ‘République Française’ replaced by ‘État Français’, although they tend to be very artisanal in nature and clearly of local production, like the so-called Giraud Croix de Guerre made in Tunisia and some of the CdGTOE made in Africa and Asia.
    MedCol%20France%20Libre.jpg

Attachments:
    noor
    Participant

Hi all,

Here is my today’s catch – French Colonial Medal (Médaille Coloniale) with "Extreme Orient" clasp. Looks like silver made and pretty old details for me.
    Because I don’t know almost nothing about this area, I would like to know few things about that. First at all period, when it was awarded? What colonia – Siam? Vietnam, etc? Also French medal are usually maker marked, where I have to look -I don’t see any marks in regular places.

I paid 25 euro for that, did I paid too much or almost fair price – Dubln prices are usually way over the top (I really like look of that, so, I didn’t mind and dealer wasn’t sure as well, so I just went for that….)
    1585227504aba2_l.jpg
    15852273b05aab_l.jpg
    15852267e8b055_o.jpg

Attachments:
    Frank Dutil
    Participant

You paid an EXCELLENT price my friend. For an original, a very good price indeed. I’ve seen some for sale at 4 times that. Any chance of seeing a maker’s mark?

As for dating it, my guess would be early post WW2.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.