• This topic has 1,238 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    medalnet
    Participant

Here a very interesting example of British and German collaboration. Most of you know the Morenga story and its implications for South West Africa, but not many have seen a real commemorative medal with the rare clasp "Kalahari 1907". The clasp is actually made in a different way then its more common cousins by not using pins on the back but rather using a metal bar like the iron cross repeating bar from 1914 for the second class. This particular medal was awarded to C.Fuller.

[attachment=1]kalahari1907.jpg[/attachment]
    kalahari1907.jpg
    kalahari1907rv.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jb floyd

This is the only action in which British troops received a German campaign medal; and the "Kalahari 1907" clasp was not given to German troops, but only to the British forces in the pursuit of Morenga.

cecawthorne

Fascinating pair of medals! I am very curious as to what the exact rank/name/unit impression is on the rim of the Queen’s South Africa Medal?

Best Regards,
    Chris

medalnet
    Participant

Knowing of only too other medals like this one, it is a blessing having the British medal within the group. I tried to take some pictures of the rim, with limited success, but it reads:"43993 Pte C. Fuller, 32nd Bn, Imp: Yeo:" He is listed as one of the eligible recipients. The other one I know came without the British medal so we will never know who received it. The other had even the German SWA medal engraved in a similar manner than the British. Probably privately done. This one is blank.

[attachment=1]fuller.jpg[/attachment]
    fuller.jpg
    fuller 2.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.