• This topic has 2,346 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I just saw a very old framed letter titled " Certificate of medal " . This goes on the state that a soldier named John Refsler is awarded the Waterloo medal from the Duke of Hess Nassau for his services and conduct during the Battle of Watterlo.
    This is not a printed certificate & is all handwritten , very old & dated December 20 , 1817 from the war department of the duchy , and signed "Krum". This is in two in parts one is "Certificate of medal " & the second is instructions for the wearing of it. It is all in English. It seems pretty neat & official despite not being an actual certificate. Could this be an English translation , or the actual certificate ? HAs anyone ever seen the like?
    Thanks
    MArk Steg

medalnet
    Participant

Would you mind posting images of those documents?!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry. I don’t actually have it here, but will be glad to answer any questions about it.

medalnet
    Participant

It was somewhat common to have hand written award documents during that time frame. But pre-printed forms do exist, too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What about the fact that it’s in English, for a German Duchy medal? My wife suggested that maybe it’s a translation . It’s seems pretty neatly done for that , but I guess it’s possible.

medalnet
    Participant

That part slipped completely through. Could be a translation. One would have to see it.

zorg

Maybe there’s a causal relationship to the King’s German Legion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_German_Legion

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you know if there is a roll showing participants and/or Waterloo medal awardees , for for the Kings German Legion ?

zorg

No, sorry!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you know if there is a roll showing participants and/or Waterloo medal awardees

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.