Orders & Medals Society of America Forums Russian and Soviet Medal Collecting Soviet Union Captain-Lieutenant Vladimir Vasil’evich Vas’kovsii

• This topic has 920 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ed_haynes
    Participant

Captain-Lieutenant Vladimir Vasil’evich Vas’kovsii

——————————————————————————–

OK, first, read or view the opening scenes from Hunt for Red October.

Ready now? OK.

Captain-Lieutenant Vladimir Vasil’evich Vas’kovsii

Documented and researched.

Combat Service Medal – Unnumbered

The recommendation:

"Comrade Vas’kovsky V. V. while being a security officer of the Special Department of KGB USSR showed himself an active, disciplined, and responsible officer. He actively participates in works of the local party chamber and is a candidate of local party bureau.

"He participated in five long-haul voyages. In November 1982 as K-424 crew member he participated in the development of new tactical procedures, including the use of an atomic submarine under the ice fields of the Central Arctic. That included fourteen ice-breaking surfacings done by K-424. He did a great amount of work to ensure the state security amongst the crew of the submarine.

"Both in everyday life and during the long-haul voyages, he spends all his energy maintaining high combat readiness of the atomic submarine and strengthening personnel’s military discipline.

"His active work helps the Command fulfill combat missions aimed at the defense and protection of the state interests of the USSR.

"For successful fulfillment of Command’s tasks and developing new tactical procedures for use of atomic submarine’s weapons from under the ice fields of Central Arctic he deserves to be awarded with the medal ‘For Valiant Labor’."

Later upgraded to Combat Service Medal [sic].

20 Years Long Service, KGB

15 Years Long Service, KGB

10 Years Long Service, KGB

Three submarine unit badges, somewhat elusive.

ed_haynes
    Participant

Any identifications on the badges?
    SubBadges.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Frank Dutil
    Participant

Un official commemoratives.

Left: sorry, can’t quite make out the writing…
    Center: 20 years of sub K-424 (Squid) of the northern fleet (I think)
    Right: 15 years of the nuclear submarine division of the Northern Fleet

ed_haynes
    Participant

Thanks, Frank. Let me fetch them home and do closer scans of all.

From what I have found, the K-424 (the first of the Delta III series) was laid down in 1974, launched and commissioned in 1976, and decomissioned for scrapping in 1995. If he served aboard in the early 1980s . . . not much of a "window" here.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Based on the write up, I find it difficult to imagine he wouldn’t have been awarded this as well: Decoration For "Long Range Cruise" type 2
    Decoration For Long Range Cruise type 2.jpg

Attachments:
    ed_haynes
    Participant

Yes, it gets more and more interesting. Especially based on

http://deepstorm.ru/DeepStorm.files/…-424/K-424.htm

which won’t let me copy text.

ed_haynes
    Participant

Originally Posted by Phil2011
    Hi Ed,
    thanks for your comment!
    I saw your picture with the three badges. They are not official ones, but commemoratives ones.

From the left to the right:

1) Sorry, no information.

2) 20th anniversary of K-424, a "Delta III" SSBN (Project 667 BDR "Kalmar" in Russia).

There is something strange: the K-424 was decommissioned in 1995 for scrapping. So, what is the meaning of this badge? Farewell badge, maybe?..
    On the badge, caption says "Severnyi Flot" : "Northern Fleet".

3) "Divizia Atomnikh Padvodnikh Lodok" : "Division of Nuclear-powered Submarines". "K.S.F." : "Krasnoznamenie – Severnyi Flot" : "Red Banner" (brigade) – "Northern Fleet". This badge is for 25th anniversary of the 6th submarine Division.

Et voila !
    Here is a Delta III:
    K-424 Submarine.jpg

Attachments:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.