This topic contains 8 replies, has 2,621 voices, and was last updated by  fred j borgmann 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

fred j borgmann
    Participant

I bought my first Canadian medal back in the 1970’s from a dealer friend who told me that he had a Wisconsin medal with a badger on top. What he thought was a badger was really a beaver. Since then my interest in Canadian “Welcome Home Medals” has been constant. Several years ago out of curiosity I sent a full color scan of my Canadian medals to a “well known” medals dealer in Canada to see if there was any interest in such medals. His offer was only a fraction of the gold value and an insult to my intelligence. As a result I concluded that there was no Canadian market for these medals. Recently while in Canada I visited several antique and collectible stores and asked about this type of medals. Every one knew about these medals but rarely ever sees any. All think they are scarce to rare and none were in stock when I was there.
    Therefore I will start a Canadian Welcome Home Medals thread here and invite any and all to join in. I realize that not all of these are Welcome Home types but what the heck they are related to the topic.

Hamilton, Ont. 1917 Citizens Service League sterling 26 mm, 8.77 grams. Not listed in Brown.
    Canada Hamilton 415.jpg
    Canada Hamilton 416.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Plumas, Manitoba WWI 10k gold, 9.93 grams on gold pin to be worn without ribbon. Not listed in Brown’s book.
    Canada Plumas 417.jpg
    Canada Plumas 418.jpg

Attachments:

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Rocanville, Sas. WWI 10k gold, 7.28 grams, 31.3 x 39.3 mm.
    Canada Rocanville412.jpg
    Canada Rocanville411.jpg

Attachments:

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Tignish, P.E.I. WWI bronze. This medal in bronze is not listed in Brown. He does list this type in gold without a karat weight and the photo he uses does not show a karat stamp on the medal so it is possible that Brown thought the medal was gold based on the color of the picture.
    Canada Tignish 414.jpg
    Canada Tignish 413.jpg

Attachments:

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Toronto, Eaton’s Battery, WWI issued by Sir John C. Eaton to his employees returning from active duty military service. Issued medals are named. Gold 14k, 13.16 grams, 21.5 x 33.4 mm including loop.
    Canada Eatons Battery 420.jpg
    Canada Eatons Battery 419.jpg

Attachments:

fred j borgmann
    Participant

240 CEF WWI unit medal, sterling and enamel star suspended from a silver brooch pinned to a black watch fob ribbon. (As issued?) Not listed in Brown.
    Canada 240 CEF 422 – Copy.jpg
    Canada 240 CEF 421 – Copy.jpg

Attachments:

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Vancouver B.C. 1919 Peace celebration, bronze
    Canada Vancouver 423 – Copy.jpg
    Canada Vancouver 424.jpg

Attachments:

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Sanford, Manitoba WWII sterling medal and brooch on dark blue ribbon. Total weight 33.5 grams, medal 37.7 mm.
    Canada Sanford Manit 426 – Copy.jpg
    Canada Sanford Manit 425 – Copy.jpg

Attachments:

fred j borgmann
    Participant

The Brown book referred to through out this thread is by George A. Brown Mr. Brown’s book is a very impressive work which will always be "The Book" for collectors of Canadian local issue "Welcome Home Medals".

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.