• This topic has 816 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    doc riley

I now have a book "военно-санитарный снравочник" Military Medical Handbook 1939. The pages are yellow but the entire book is in excellent shape. What can I do to preserve this book?

:D Doc

jb floyd

There isn’t much that can be done without substantial investment. The yellowing is a function of the manufacture of the paper. To deacidify the whole book would cost many times the book’s value. About all you can do is be careful with it. I have several fragile and deteriorating books that I have photocopied for regular use and put the original out of harm’s way.

ed_haynes
    Participant

Actually, if the binding is strong, I would Xerox the whole thing to preserve it. Put the original in an archival-quality sleeve and consult only the Xerox. Short of some VERY expensive preservation, I suspect the high-acid wartime paper only has a few decades left in it.

Ed Haynes

Henk-Willem
    Participant

Ed, can you tell me more about that preserve manner?

Henk-Willem

Anonymous
    Inactive

Scan it to make a digital copy, then cryogenically dry freeze the paper copy so it may be enjoyed in the 25th century.

mconrad

jomsa editor

Doc: I have many Soviet books printed before, during, and after the Great Patriotic War and the paper in most of them is a very poor grade paper with a high-acid content. Even up through the 1970s their typical paper was almost manila colored when new and produced very poor photographic images. I doubt there is much that can be done to preserve that paper. Living in a dry, low-humidity climate is some help – since I moved to the semi-arid climate of the Sacramento Valley I have noticed less yellowing of the pages.

Dick Flory, JOMSA Editor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.