• This topic has 5,378 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jb floyd

Here’s a very nice Irish Service Medal 1917-1921, with the "Comrac" bar. From this side, it looks fine — a little wear and age to the ribbon, and some crud on the ring and edges, but not really a problem. However, there’s more to story…..
    img227.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jb floyd

It’s the other side that brings out the problem. I’ve preaced for years about getting medals out of those little plastic cases with foam padding. This is exactly why. I’m not sure there is any way to salvage this scarce medal without taking it apart and stripping off the finish and hoping that the pitting won’t be too bad underneath. Unless you want this, get those medals away from foam padding!
    img228.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Frank Dutil
    Participant

Was the reverse plain or was there an actual design there? :o

jb floyd

There was a design – a laurel spray that ran from 6:00 to 12:00 on the left side of the otherwise blank field. It may still be under the chemical soup.

Frank Dutil
    Participant

Woa… Please show us the results… I for one am quite curious.

John_Allgood
    Keymaster

Jeff,

I have had good luck using WD-40 on Bronze IGS medals. I haven’t had any experience with Irish medals but it won’t hurt the medal.

Sad to see it happen in the first place.

John

jb floyd

I haven’t had the time to devote to this one, but I doubt that I can do any more damage than is there right now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.