• This topic has 4,034 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Albany, NY issued a medal for honorable service in the War with Spain. I have only seen the planchet. Does anyone know what the ribbon looked like?
    Thanks,

fred j borgmann
    Participant

On one of his old lists George Harris describes the medal as two piece with a pin back top bar and ribbon. From his lack of further details I assume the piece to suspended from the broach with a clamp on claw like swivel and to have a red white and blue back drop ribbon. I have 2 of these medals both of which are medal only, but none are issued pieces. One is silver marked "Sample " on the rim. Another similar one in white metal. I also have one in bronze that my records list as being on a broach with no mention of a ribbon. This one is marked "Property of Company A. 10th Batt." on the rim. When I get a chance I will go to the bank and post a scan here. Fred

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Fred, the one that I have is named on the rim, John P. Pickett, A 1st Inf N.Y. Vols
    clyde

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Clyde I stand corrected, Harris didnot list the medal with a ribbon. My medal is also on a broach that never had a ribbon. I would like to post a scan here but can’t figure out how! Fred

fred j borgmann
    Participant

Hi Clyde and anyone else following this. I posted this with pictures on my blog "The Militarist". Here is a link http://www.numismaticnews.net/militaris … -war-medal. Fred

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks again Fred. Unfortnately, mine is missing the broach but maybe a small trade off for it being named.

jb floyd

I had a pendant-only of this medal in white metal for years before I knew that most of the others were bronze. Such is the problem of no books, no internet and a small number of other collectors.

billfrny

For ctlink1863; I have a grandfather John P. Pickett from Albany NY who entered the Army for the Spanish Am War. His units as I understand them do not include 1st Inf. N.Y. Vols. I have records showing his service (all in the Philippines) as: U.S. Army Card, NY Archive Extract: John P. Pickett enlisted May 14, 1898 for 3 years as Pvt., Company C, 18th Infantry, USA at Albany, NY. (residence was Troy, NY). On July 28, 1899 was Hon. Discharged as Pvt. (birthplace Glens Falls, NY). Age at enlistment was 28 years, 3 month, knitter. Color of eyes blue, hair lt. Brown, complexion-fair, height 5’7”, character very good. John P. Pickett enlisted at Pvt K company 37th US Vol. Infantry on July 29, 1899 ar Jaro, PI. Rank held during service – private and last served in Co. C, 18th Inf. Age at this enlistment 29 and 5/12 years, character – excellent, service honest and faithful.
    Army Recap: Enlisted at Albany on May 14, 1898 in Co C 18th Inf., discharged Jaro, PI July 28,1899;
    Reenlisted at Jaro, PI on July 29, 1899 in K Co 37th US Vol
    Discharged Presideo, CA Sept 18, 1900 (Honorable) after Hospitalization for malaria and stomach prob.

Do you know if the 1st NY Vols went to the Philippines? In any event this USAF (Ret.) grandson would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.