Zulu War Medals

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1,761 voices, and was last updated by  sloatcoins 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sloatcoins

I have two silver medals that look to be from the Zulu War. The obverse has Victoria’s portrait and "Victoria Regina". The Reverse has a Lion that is beginning to lay down in front of a Protea plant. There is a shield and four crossed spears underneath the lion and the legend says "South Africa". I have been having trouble identifying this medal as it is missing both the ribbon and the bar. It seems like there were several strikes but I can’t figure out which one it is from. I was looking for help identifying it as well as pricing it. Both medals were issued to privates one in the Queenstown Volunteers and one in the 90th Foot. Thanks for your time

John_Allgood
    Keymaster

Can you post a photo? The medals were issued without clasp to individuals. Also a photo of the naming would be helpful to determine if it is named correctly.

Best wishes,

John

John_Allgood
    Keymaster

I should also mention that on the main page of the website (http://www.omsa.org) a series of medals images scroll through the page. One of those is a Zulu war medal. I know that it is named "1098 Pte. G. Smith 90th Foot" (I own that medal).

John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login