What's New in the Images Database

This topic contains 151 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  megan 1 day, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 152 total)
  • Author

megan

Three more ‘colonial’ World War 2 medals for you today – from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

megan

Finally, the end of World War 2 – with the South African Medal for War Services (for volunteers serving unpaid with various organisations), the Southern Rhodesia War Service Medal (for those service personnel who didn’t set foot outside Rhodesia so didn’t qualify for any other medals – it’s rare, just under 4,000 awarded!), and the Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal. This last is a recent (1981) addition to cover a wonderful anomaly… Newfoundland didn’t join the Canadian Confederation until 1949, being a separate British colony before then – and so Newfoundland personnel didn’t qualify for the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal!

Next week, the post-WW2 conflicts, starting with the Korea War.

megan

As promised, this Sunday afternoon has seen the addition of the Korea War Medal, along with the South Africa Medal for Korea (everyone else in the Commonwealth made do with the UK medal, even if the Canadians issued it in silver rather than cupro-nickel, and modified the Queen’s inscription to declare her Queen of Canada!) and the UN Service Medal for Korea in the English language version, one of 11 languages it was issued in. I understand that all Commonwealth recipients received the English version, does anyone know if Francophone Canadians got the French version instead?

I had no end of difficulty in finding an image of the South Africa Medal for Korea, does anyone have a better picture?

megan

It’s Christmas Eve, and today I’ve added the post-war medals awarded for ‘general service’ – that is, actions for which no specific medal was awarded. These are the General Service Medal 1962-2007, the Operational Service Medal, and the General Service Medal 2008.

The GSM 1962-2007 has the disctinction of bearing the longest-running clasp awarded – for service in Northern Ireland – and I recall a feature in Soldier magazine (the ‘house magazine’ of the British army) when it was awarded to a soldier born the day the clasp was instituted! The Operational Service Medal is distinctive in rather than having clasps, a separate ribbon with the same medal is awarded for each operation. Despite its name, the General Service Medal 2008 wasn’t instituted until 2015… and word about its terms of award or even what it looked like were extremely slow in getting out even within the military, never mind interested civilians. We had people being told they’d been awarded it and not knowing what ribbon to add to their rack, and it wasn’t until November 2016 that I found an official image of it!

megan

And so the year comes to an end, and we’ve ALMOST at the end of the British Campaign medals although there are a few more to come! Today I’ve added the Accumulated Campaign Service Medal, which was invented because the British habit of awarding the General Service Medal 1962 with appropriate clasp didn’t adequately recognise the service of someone who, for example, served multiple tours of duty keeping the peace in Northern Ireland! This only recognised service for which the GSM 1962 or the Operational Service Medal that succeeded it, so in 2011 a new version (almost identical except for an extra gold stripe on the ribbon) was introduced which could also be awarded for service for which a United Nations or other multi-nantional medal was given. I also added the United Nations Emergency Force Medal and the Vietnam Medal, neither of which were awarded to British troops but they belong here because they were awarded to Canadians (UNEF Medal) or Australians and New Zealanders (Vietnam Medal) before these countries had honours systems of their own.

See you all in the New Year!

megan

Happy New Year! Today I have added the Vietnam Logistics and Support Medal, a late addition in 1993 for those Australians acting in support roles who didn’t qualify for the Vietnam Medal, and the South Vietnam Campaign Medal awarded by the government of South Vietnam to foreign troops who aided them in their ultimately unsuccessful war. Also today: the Rhodesia Medal awarded to British, Fijian, Kenyan, Australian and New Zealand personnel who helped keep the peace between the Rhodesian armed forces and guerillas in the run-up to independence in 1980, when Zimbabwe was formed.

megan

Today I’ve added the South Atlantic Medal – marking the 1982 Falklands War, when Argentina attempted to annex the Falklands (whose citizens have repeated stated that they wish to remain British) – and a couple of Russian medals awarded to veterans of the Arctic convoys in the Second World War. These are the Soviet Jubilee Medal “Forty Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945”, which the USSR awarded to them and the Medal of Ushakov, granted by the Russian Federation in 2013.

megan

Today we have 2 foreign awards – the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal and the King Hussein Medal – granted to UK service personnel (amongst others) – and the Gulf War medal, a British medal awarded for participation in the liberation of Kuwait in 1990-1991.

I’m always learning new things – I hadn’t even heard of the King Hussein Medal before! Trundle on over to the British Campaign Medals section of the images database to see what I discovered about it.

megan

Today I added the Brunei General Service Medal (awarded by the Sultan of Brunei to British personnel on loan to his armed forces, and one of the few foreign service medals for which unrestricted permission to wear has been granted), the Sierra Leone General Service Medal (awarded for service with Sierra Leone troops, apparently by The Queen rather than by the Sierra Leonian government), and the Iraq Medal (awarded for the 2003 invasion of Iraq) along with the Iraq Reconstruction service Medal (awarded to those who helped clear up the mess for the following ten years!).

megan

Today we have the Civilian Service Medal (Afghanistan) which is awarded to non-military personnel (including civil servants, police officers and contractors) helping to rebuild Afghanistan; also the Saudi Arabian Medal for the Liberation of Kuwait (which UK personnel were not given permission to wear), and a series of medals from the Multinational Force & Observers, set up to keep the peace between Israel and Egypt and noted for their distinctive orange berets. Many nations have contributed personnel – Australia, Canada, Colombia, Fiji, France, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, UK, USA and Uruguay – and even UK personnel are allowed to wear them in uniform. There’s a Military and a Civilian Medal for participation, and a Director-General’s Medal for outstanding service.

Next time, more international service medals (and the Kuwaiti Liberation Medal).

megan

After spending the whole afternoon unravelling the mysteries of the Kuwait Liberation Medal – which UK personnel are not allowed to wear in uniform anyway – I then started looking at NATO service medals. Now that’s a real tangled mess… and probably worthy of a JOMSA article! – and will come next week!

megan

Today I have sorted out the vast array of NATO service medals, and posted all 14 that I can find… I don’t think I’ve left anything out. Still might write a JOMSA article, given how little information is available about them. Maybe over the Easter break…

megan

Today I have added the European Community Monitor Mission Medal, yet another award for those trying to keep the peace in the Balkans. The European folks were noted for wearing all-white outfits – how they kept clean in a war-torn country nobody knows! I also added the Ebola Medal – the first time the UK Government has issued a medal for humanitarian work, this was for those brave souls who went to Africa to help save lives during a virulent outbreak of Ebola 2014-2016.

Next time a couple more EU medals, then just about all that is left are the UN medals UK troops have been awarded. These are worn intermixed with UK medals in the order in which they have been awarded to the individual wearing them.

megan

I’VE DONE IT!
    The British Campaign Medals section of the database is now complete!

Calm down, Megan. Today I added the Western European Union Mission Service Medal, the European Security and Defence Policy Service Medal, a brief note on UN Medals, the International Conference on the Former Yugoslavia Medal, the International Force East Timor (INTERFET) Medal – delightfully, an Australian medal awarded to British personnel involved, a nice reversal of the many British medals awarded to Australians – and finally the South African UNITAS Medal that marked the end of apartheid and the first non-racist elections, and was awarded to members of a British Military Advisory Team who were in South Africa at the time.

Next I suppose it’s on to British meritorious and long service medals (unless I go rogue and stick up some Kingdom of Romania medals, seeing as that’s what I’m doing on my own website at the moment!).

megan

OK, so I resisted temptation and started in on the British medals for long and meritorious service. First up are Meritorious Service Medals for the Royal Navy and Royal Marines. The Royal Navy did not get a MSM until 1919 unlike all other branches of service – this was a hang-over from early British seamen generally being ‘press-ganged’ into service (basically, they got kidnapped off the street or out of bars in port towns!) and for some reason it was considered impossible for their service to be ‘meritorious’…

After some early variations, current MSMs for all services are actually identical, it is only by looking at the recipient details engraved on the edge that you can tell which branch of service a given medal has been awarded to.

I have now instituted a ‘Seeking Image’ image, to use as a placeholder when I don’t have a picture of a particular variant. Help me fill the gaps!

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  megan.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login