What's New in the Images Database

This topic contains 145 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  megan 6 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 146 total)
  • Author

megan

Today I have been exploring some of the privately-created medals surrounding the campaign in South Africa. So we have the Kimberley Star and Kimberley Medal, awarded by the Mayor of Kimberley to the defenders of his township, and an example of what the ‘folks back home’ gave to returning heroes in the shape of the Yorkshire Imperial Yeomanry Medal.

megan

There’s something wrong: it’s a long weekend in the UK and the sun is shining! Today I have added the Cape Copper Company Medal – yet another ‘private’ medal relating to the Boer War – and finally moved on to add the China War Medal 1900, the Transport Medal, and the Ashanti Medal to the British Campaign Medals section.

The Transport Medal was awarded to masters and officers of merchant ships which transported men and materiel to the Boer War and the Boxer Rebellion (for which the China War Medal 1900 was awarded): the medal remained the same but a clasp was awarded for each war sailed to. Apparently the original intention was to continue this pattern for any further skirmishes, but this did not happen.

We’re now into King Edward VII’s reign, and he turns up wearing an appropriate uniform – Admiral for the Transport Medal and Field Marshal for medals for service on land – rather than using a common ‘coinage’ head on all medals.

megan

Just two medals today in the British Campaign Medals section: the Africa General Service Medal 1902 and the Tibet Medal. The Africa General Service Medal was awarded for 54 years and under three monarchs (Edward VII, George V and Elizabeth II… apparently no appropriate campaigns were fought under George VI!).

Sorry, I got distracted ‘cos I am writing a paper about distance learning… if it gets published it will be my first real academic paper!

megan

Today I added the Natal Rebellion Medal, the Messina Earthquake Commemorative Medal and the India General Service Medal 1908-1935 to the British Campaign Medals section of the database.

The Natal Rebellion Medal is of note for one of the recipients, a certain Sergeant-Major M.K. Gandhi. He is better known as Mahatma Gandhi, who led India to independence in 1947!

The Messina Earthquake Commemorative Medal is an Italian medal awarded to people of many nationalities who assisted in the aftermath of an earthquake there in 1908 – including the crews of several Royal Navy vessels. International disaster relief is nothing new… but I hope none of you are caught up in Hurricane Irma, which is battering Florida as I write.

megan

Today I added the Khedive’s Sudan Medal 1910 and the British Red Cross Society Medal for the Balkan War 1912-1913 to the British Campaign Medals section of the database.

This completes the sweep of campaign medals prior to the First World War. I am on holiday next week, but once I return will move onto the First World War medals and thence to the rest of the 20th and 21st centuries.

megan

And I’m back!

I have added the medals of the First World War – 1914 Star, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal 1914-20, Mercantile Marine War Medal, Victory Medal, and Territorial Force War Medal – to the British Campaign Medals section of the database.

My maternal grandfather, Daniel Templeton, served throughout the war. As a Reservist, he went over at the outset, one of the ‘Old Contemptibles’ and served right up to the armistice without a scratch… although he developed a bad case of ‘potty mouth’ which did not go down well on his return to civilian life, where he was an elder in the Church of Scotland! He served in the Royal Engineers Postal & Courier – as a storeman, which was his civilian trade in the British Post Office! Just the uniform changed…

Family legend tells that his swearing was cured by my grandmother catching him a clip around the ear every time he swore, and that it took eight months to clean up his act.

megan

This morning I received an e-mail from Colonel Khriss Urban, who has just been awarded the Kentucky Colonels’ 2018 Medal of Distinction (congratulations!) and has wasted no time in taking a photograph of his new award and sending it to me for addition to the database. You’ll find in in the Societies section of the USA area in the database.

megan

I have spent this afternoon with the remainder of WW1 awards. There’s a medal from the British Red Cross given to any Red Cross volunteer who helped with the war effort but did not qualify for any offical medals, the Memorial Plaque and Scroll sent to the next-of-kin of those who died during the war and the Silver War Badge given to those who suffered wounds sufficient to return them to civilian life (reputedly handed out to protect these poor fellows from people accusing them of not ‘doing their bit’ as they weren’t in uniform!). Finally there’s a rather handsome table medal handed out by the Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) Government to their citizens who served in the war, of note because Ceylon was the only British colony to so reward those who participated in the war effort (several did during WW2 as you’ll see shortly). All will be found in the British Campaign Medals section of the database.

Next week we’ll look at the ‘between the wars’ medals.

megan

Today I added the Naval General Service Medal 1915-1962 and the General Service Medal 1918-1962. Both these long-running medals were awarded, with appropriate clasp, for minor actions and operations for which no separate medal was established. Each spanned the reigns of three monarchs – George V, George VI, and Elizabeth II – and with variations took quite a lot of hunting down to find all the different types. There’s only one I haven’t found a picture of yet!

megan

I’ve been diverted from British campaign medals today by a selection of images of District of Columbia National Guard medals from Mike Berger, a long-serving member of the DCNG and avid collector of all their medals not just the ones he himself has earned! So I’ve taken the opportunity to try and put them all in the correct order, with the help of Robin L. Nicholson I’s excellent book Decorations and Awards of the U.S. National Guard.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  megan.

megan

Back to the UK, sorta, with the Iraq General Service Medal (awarded to British personnel for service there or with the Iraq Levies) and the India General Service Medal 1936-1939. This is the last of the series of India General Service Medals, instituted ‘cos they needed a new one when George VI took the throne and expected to last his lifetime – only the Second World War got in the way, then by 1947 India was granted independence (and started, of course, to award her own medals… of which more anon, no doubt!).

Next week there will be a flurry of WW2 stars to delight you.

megan

Of course I found a couple more odds and ends – the British North Borneo Company General Service Medal and the Sudan Defence Force General Service Medal – to add before I could start on the WW2 stars… but now I’ve started them even if I haven’t done them all yet!

First up is the 1939-1945 Star, then the Atlantic Star and the Arctic Star. This last is an oddity, being created in December 2012 as a result of sustained lobbying by veterans who felt unsufficiently rewarded with the Atlantic Star, furthermore it bears the monograph of a monarch who didn’t authorise it, as to remain consistent with the other WW2 stars it bears that of King George VI.

More stars next week…

megan

Here in the UK it is Remembrance Sunday, when we remember all those who have lost their lives in the service of their country in war.

Today’s medals are the rest of the World War 2 stars: the Air Crew Europe Star, the Africa Star, the Pacific Star, the Italy Star, and the France and Germany Star. It is said that King George VI took a keen interest in these medals, and had a hand in the design of the ribbons.

megan

Today I have added the Defence Medal, War Medal 1939-1945, and the King’s Badge.

Next time (barring an influx of images from elsewhere… hint, hint!) I’ll be looking at the medals from the Colonies to mark their participation in World War 2. These were awarded to citizens of the relevant Colony along with the war medals and stars earned by their service that I’ve already talked about… UK citizens had to content themselves with the war medals and stars alone.

megan

Today I added the India Service Medal 1939-1945 (for those Indian citizens who served in India) and the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal (for Canadian citizens who served in Canada or overseas – such service being marked by clasps on the ribbon).

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login