What's New in the Images Database

This topic contains 125 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  megan 1 day, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)
  • Author

megan

It’s a nice sunny afternoon, and I have added the Distinguished Service Cross and the Military Cross to the British Decorations section.

megan

Today I spent hunting for images for the Russian Federation Ministry of Interior Affairs (MVD) which went missing during the move to the new database… many thanks to Frank Dutil who noticed their absence (not to mention for having provided the images in the first place!).

cecawthorne

Thanks Megan for sorting this out and thanks to Frank for bring this to our attention and providing the original material. Speaking on behalf of the OMSA Board of Directors, it is very much appreciated.

megan

Thank you, Chris. It’s what I’m here for!

megan

I’ve just added the USA Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal, awarded for service in Iraq, Syria, or contiguous waters or airspace on or after June 15, 2014. Image courtesy of Frank Dutil – many thanks!

You can find it in USA/Federal Awards/Department of Defense/US Military – Common Awards.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  megan.

megan

Back to the United Kingdom today, and I’ve added the Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Force Cross to the British Decorations section.

megan

Today I added the Order of British India and Order of Burma to the UK Decorations section – two little-known awards given to native officers during the colonial period.

megan

Today I have been picking my way through the Kaisar-i-Hind Medal, a delightfully egalitarian award for services to India that existed 1900-1947.

Members who’d like to read more about it will find a article tucked away in the 2012 Journal by Ed Haynes, which although it’s about a recipient includes a lot of detail about the medal itself.

Haynes, E.S. (2012) ‘The Strange History of Nell Naylor’s Medal: Told with Help from Our Cousins in Genealogy’ JOMSA 63(4):39-41.

As I didn’t find many images alas, I think I’ll add the Albert Medal as well, seeing as I have a complete set of images of that on my website to share with you all.

megan

After a fruitless search for images of the Union of South Africa King’s/Queen’s Medal for Bravery (not surprising, very few were awarded!), I did manage to find some pictures of the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Not as many as I’d have liked, though!

megan

OK, it’s sunny, I’m working from home today and I needed something to occupy my lunch break… so I added the Distinguished Conduct Medal (KAR and WAFF) to the British Decorations section! Another fairly rare decoration, but I’ve found plenty of images for you… although there’s rumoured to be a George VI KAR one, which I’ve never seen!

megan

This morning I received an image of the 2016 Medal of Distinction awarded by the Honorable Society of Kentucky Colonels from Colonel Khriss Urban, and wasted no time in adding it – you’ll find it in the Societys section of the United States of America in the database. Thanks Colonel Urban!

megan

A sunny Sunday afternoon (in Cheshire in the UK anyway!) and I have added the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal to the British Decorations section… it was not awarded frequently so images are quite hard to find!

megan

Added the Kenyan Order of the Golden Heart, mostly because I added it to my own website so wanted to share it here too!

megan

Today, continuing the sweep through UK Decorations, I added the George Medal.

megan

I have spent a happy afternoon putting the medals of the Russian Federation Ministry of Defence into order (and adding a few), given that Frank Dutil has managed to search out the correct order of wear for them! Thanks, Frank.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OMSA

Join now to start taking advantage of the member benefits including the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society, Ribbon Bank, Library, Annual Conventions, Publication Program and much more!
Join Now!

Site Login